Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

French Foreign Legion

Can't remember the name of the book and/or the author? Ask here--maybe we can help!
emr
Compulsive Reader

French Foreign Legion

Post by emr » Mon November 17th, 2014, 7:44 pm

More than *cough*-ty years ago I read a couple of books. I think they were about the adventures of some soldiers in the French Foreign Legion, there were battles, some Arab princess in distress in the desert, dunno. The author or authors were probably French.

I'm not asking for a specific title -I'm pretty sure I'll never see those books again- but does anyone know of some title set maybe during the Conquest of Algeria (1830–1847) with Legionnaires involved? And written before the 70s...
Thanks
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat November 22nd, 2014, 4:27 am

The only ones that occur to me are P. C. Wren's trilogy; Beau Geste, Beau Sabreur and Beau Ideal, but they might be too old - they were written in the 1920s.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Sat November 22nd, 2014, 6:27 pm

Under two flags, ca 1930s film with Ronald Coleman, Claudette Colbert, and Victor McLaglan -- do not remember book it was based on.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Tue November 25th, 2014, 1:04 am

[quote=""annis""]The only ones that occur to me are P. C. Wren's trilogy; Beau Geste, Beau Sabreur and Beau Ideal, but they might be too old - they were written in the 1920s.[/quote]

Beau Geste! wow The description from Goodreads isn't great but yah it could be... French Legionnaires find one of their fortresses manned by dead men. It does ring a bell. People complain of a dated writing but of course back then I read a translation... You are good :D Thanks

[quote=""donroc""]Under two flags, ca 1930s film with Ronald Coleman, Claudette Colbert, and Victor McLaglan -- do not remember book it was based on.[/quote]

Under Two Flags written by Ouida in 1893. Could be could be...

Thanks guys :)
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Return to “Who Wrote It? What's the Title?”