Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Australian History- Convict Era

Can't remember the name of the book and/or the author? Ask here--maybe we can help!
SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Australian History- Convict Era

Post by SCW » Mon July 21st, 2014, 11:52 am

Hi there

Years ago I read a book about a mother and daughter that were transported to Australia on The First Fleet. From memory I think one of them died on the voyage and the other got to Sydney. The book had a brown cover with a wattle flower on it. Never got to finish the story but I remember finding it very engrossing. Lots of convicts, soldiers and evil redcoat officers. Would appreciate any help here thanks.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon July 21st, 2014, 2:59 pm

It might be The Exiles.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Mon July 21st, 2014, 11:15 pm

Thanks for that. I placed an order for it. There were a series of these books if I recall?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue July 22nd, 2014, 12:00 am

A very long series of very fat books, but I've read three so far and there's enough passage of time you aren't going to have to commit yourself. Each one was complete without leaving you hanging grabbing for the next book. I do need to get back to these. Series according to Goodreads here.

SCW
Avid Reader

Post by SCW » Tue July 22nd, 2014, 9:00 am

Well the first story was enjoyable -from what I could recall. Might see if it stands the test of time though.
The BBC is currently filming a series about The First Fleet called Banished. I used to like watching those convict era shows when I was a kid.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue July 22nd, 2014, 2:58 pm

Interesting reading, and what a rough experience at the first. Little to no supplies and the next ship months in the future. Dry land, little water, many of the convicts from the streets of London with no idea how to farm the land, corrupt soldiers, hostile natives. How they survived at all and prospered makes for some good story telling.

SCW
Avid Reader

Post by SCW » Thu July 24th, 2014, 6:14 am

True.
The early convicts had a very rough time of it.
Although that would be true of all that were transported. (Especially the ones that ended up in Norfolk Island and Port Arthur) I still remember shuddering through those chapters in Robert Hughes The Fatal Shore

Return to “Who Wrote It? What's the Title?”