Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Children's novel about Glastonbury

Can't remember the name of the book and/or the author? Ask here--maybe we can help!
claiborneray

Children's novel about Glastonbury

Post by claiborneray » Tue September 3rd, 2013, 1:38 pm

In my youth, I read a wonderful book about a young boy placed at the medieval abbey at Glastonbury, England, who was being taught to copy books (that's where I picked up the word palimpsest!) and who witnessed, as I recall, the exhumation of Joseph, and maybe even saw the Grail. Have searched in vain. Any ideas?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed September 4th, 2013, 10:07 am

I wonder if this might have been The Hidden Treasure of Glaston by Eleanore Myers Jewell, set during the reign of Henry II. It was originally published in 1946, but has been reissued in recent times.

claiborneray

Glastonbury novel

Post by claiborneray » Wed September 4th, 2013, 4:21 pm

Thank you so much, that looks very promising! The timing is right; I would have read it in the mid-1950's, and I was systematic about seeking out the medalist winners in the children's section of the library.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed September 4th, 2013, 8:32 pm

You can get a preview of this book courtesy of Google Books, though not the full text for copyright reasons. It might jog your memory, though.

The Hidden Treasure of Glaston @Google Books

claiborneray

Post by claiborneray » Wed September 4th, 2013, 8:52 pm

I think this is the one! I already ordered a hardcover from abebooks.com.

Return to “Who Wrote It? What's the Title?”