Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Looking for Medieval Fiction book - unknown title/author

Can't remember the name of the book and/or the author? Ask here--maybe we can help!
Mel

Looking for Medieval Fiction book - unknown title/author

Post by Mel » Sat February 9th, 2013, 6:10 pm

Many years ago (probably 10-15) I read a book about a young lady who had been living in a convent. Her name I believe was Gillian or Jillian. Her brother came to get her and she was married to a cold hearted man. They lived at court but I can't remember whose court it was or even the husband's name but the name of Broase or de Broase stands out in my memory. He was a bit brutal to her, causing her to have a miscarrage after beating her over some offense. I seem to recall she was befriended by the court jester or something like that. She was secretly in love with another man who was forbidden to her. They eventually ran away together. The cover image may have had a dark haired beauty on it and the husband may have had blond or light colored hair. It was a fairly thick paper back edition I read and not in the same category as many historical "romances" because it was several hundred pages but less than Diana Gabaladon's work. Anyone have a clue? I have been wracking my brain and trying various search terms for years. I must have something wrong because I can't find it.

Thanks for looking!

~mel~

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat February 9th, 2013, 7:54 pm

I don't know the book, but the de Braose family was prominent at that time.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat February 9th, 2013, 9:27 pm

Sorry, no idea, although I've read quite a bit in that genre.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Mel

Post by Mel » Wed May 15th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Thanks for trying :-) I still am not any closer to figuring out this book! I apologize for the time it has taken to reply. I didn't get a notification that anyone had replied. I must not have set up my account properly. I will try to fix that now. Best Regards,
~mel~
Last edited by Mel on Wed May 15th, 2013, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed May 15th, 2013, 11:16 pm

Might it be Nicole Galland's "Fool's Tale"? It's set in 12th century Wales.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu May 16th, 2013, 12:03 am

It sounds like Marsh King's Daughter but if it was, I'd think EC would remember it!

Return to “Who Wrote It? What's the Title?”