Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hello, i need help finding a book and yes I forgot the title/author

Can't remember the name of the book and/or the author? Ask here--maybe we can help!
UrsetheBear

Hello, i need help finding a book and yes I forgot the title/author

Post by UrsetheBear » Thu October 27th, 2011, 11:38 pm

Hello, just found this forum in my quest to find this book i read as a teenager, the library i got it from is no longer there so i cant go back and have a look.

It was 15 years ago or so, so i may some details wrong but here goes.

It was set in an Italian town maybe 1400's, and this townb was besieged by a man named the Wolf? he wasn't a character but in this town was a thief, he is the protagonist. The town in besieged for a long time and the plague besets the inhabitants, a rich family dies leaving thier girl alone and the thief befriends her and teaches her his lifestyle.
Also a whale beaches itself below the city walls and everyone thinks it a dragon, they are starved and head out to cut it up.

i know my description is lacking, but i dont remember much about it. Apart from that it was awesome.

Can anyone please help?

thankyou for reading

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 27th, 2011, 11:46 pm

Hi and welcome. I'm stumped but hopefully someone will have the answer. Is it a romance or a historical novel?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

UrsetheBear

Post by UrsetheBear » Thu October 27th, 2011, 11:52 pm

Hello,

yes definetly a historical novel but part of my brain is kind of saying maybe it was fantasy? im pretty sure it was set in an Italian town, but im also quite sure it was not based on actual events.

thankyou

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue November 8th, 2011, 3:42 pm

I'm stumped too. Sorry!
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun November 13th, 2011, 1:09 am

I don't recognize this book, but I wonder if the besieger might have been the 15th century Italian nobleman/condottiero Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, known as the "Wolf of Rimini"? Whether that's any help or not I don't know...

Was your book one written for children/teenagers or adults?
Last edited by annis on Sun November 13th, 2011, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

UrsetheBear

Post by UrsetheBear » Sun December 4th, 2011, 7:59 am

Hey thanks for that, but no i dont think so, and i've searched the hell out of that line of inquiry now. I did find some really good sounding books to check out, but alas no help finding that book.
It was for Adults im quite sure, teenage stuff never really grabbed me at that age, and i remember it being quite morbid as everyone dies of the plague, and you know had sexual tones too i think.

thanks for trying, hope i find it one day

Return to “Who Wrote It? What's the Title?”