Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

looking for early 20th century, small town story

Can't remember the name of the book and/or the author? Ask here--maybe we can help!
ceethreepio

looking for early 20th century, small town story

Post by ceethreepio » Mon September 19th, 2011, 4:59 am

I'm a writer in a novel-writing class, and I need to find a book similar to the one I'm trying to write. I'm looking for a book that's set in a small town, with a major character who wants to leave the town but can't (not enough money), and a stranger who comes to town who might help the major character or who might dupe him/her. 1930s/early 20th century would be a major plus!

Any recommendations would be helpful!

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon September 19th, 2011, 6:03 am

I've seen an early Paul Newman movie with a very similar plot to this, called The Long Hot Summer. According to Wikipedia, it was based on some short stories by William Faulkner, particularly "The Hamlet." I don't believe I ever read "The Hamlet," but Faulkner was quite a distinguished novelist (though not to every reader's taste), so this might impress your teacher.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

ceethreepio

Post by ceethreepio » Tue September 20th, 2011, 3:02 pm

Thanks, Margaret!

Chris Little
Reader

Weedy Rough, by Douglas C. Jones

Post by Chris Little » Tue September 20th, 2011, 4:10 pm

Weedy Rough is a small 1920s, 30s, Ozarks Arkansas town. The grandson of a character developed in earlier Jones' novels is the central character. The boy is destined to leave town, and in the end needs grandfather Pay's help.

Return to “Who Wrote It? What's the Title?”