Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

French Cajuns..or something like that? Book Help

Can't remember the name of the book and/or the author? Ask here--maybe we can help!
Divia
Bibliomaniac

French Cajuns..or something like that? Book Help

Post by Divia » Mon June 13th, 2011, 9:21 pm

OK, about two years ago I remember someone mentioning a book about the people who left Canada and came to New Orleans. Its a famous song. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I guess someoen was going to write a book about it. Desiree? Angelina? Grrr, I can't remember.

Thanks
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon June 13th, 2011, 9:49 pm

Evangeline by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was the inspiration for this book by Ben Farmer, also titled Evangeline.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon June 13th, 2011, 11:56 pm

Oh! That's it. Awesome. Thanks.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

The Song?

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Tue June 14th, 2011, 12:20 am

Might be Evangeline by the Band with Emmy Lou Harris singing. It's a very beautiful song about a woman waiting for her love, Bayou Dan from south Louisian, to return on a Mississippi Queen. She "watches from the banks of the mighty Mississippi that Queen go under."

hfwriter
Scribbler

Post by hfwriter » Tue June 14th, 2011, 1:54 am

I might have mentioned it to you at the last HNS conference. I was writing a book ab the Acadian deportation at the time. I remember sitting at a table one night with a librarian--dark hair if I recall correctly.

But yes, the story is beautiful. The history behind the story itself is interesting too, Nathaniel Hawthorne mentioned a legend he'd heard to Longfellow one night at dinner and Longfellow expanded upon it and turned it into Evangeline.

Return to “Who Wrote It? What's the Title?”