Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book recommendations for less common time periods

Trying to remember a title or an author? Want to know who or what a particular novel is about? Want a recommendation for books about a particular person or period? Post here!
EAminy

Book recommendations for less common time periods

Post by EAminy » Sun December 3rd, 2017, 3:16 pm

Hi!
I'm an avid historical fiction reader but I always have a hard time finding books about periods I've not already read abouth in a thousand different books and was wondering if some recommendations could be made for books that don't fall into any of the following categories.

Greco-Roman-Barbaric antiquity
Vikings
English-French middle ages (unless it's really f*cking good)
Mongols
Napoleonics
Victorian era Britain (unless it's really good)
World war 1 (unless it's really good)
World war 2 (unless it's in an unusual theater of war)
Cold war antics from a US/Soviet perspective
In general anything about the US (I don't care how good it is, I'm not interested)
In general anything about China (unless it's really good)

I am quite partial to European history but I am open to basically anything as long as it's pre-2000s.

Thanks you very much for any help!

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Re: Book recommendations for less common time periods

Post by Susan » Sun December 3rd, 2017, 9:59 pm

Here's a resource you may find useful: http://www.historicalnovels.info/ - Over 5000 Historical Novels Listed by Time and Place Including more than 700 Reviews
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed May 23rd, 2018, 4:44 am

I loved The Jewel Trader of Pegu by Jeffrey Hantover, set in the late 16th century in what is now, I believe, Myanmar. A really different setting! And an absorbing love story that is not "romantic." (Reviewed here)
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

ellisael
Scribbler
Currently reading: Vegetarian
Interest in HF: I am interested in the stories of colonisation rn
Favourite HF book: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Preferred HF: Mughal Era

Post by ellisael » Thu October 8th, 2020, 8:07 am

Susan wrote:
Sun December 3rd, 2017, 9:59 pm
Here's a resource you may find useful: http://www.historicalnovels.info/ - Over 5000 Historical Novels Listed by Time and Place Including more than 700 Reviews
terrific resource- thank you!

Return to “Ask Your Fellow Readers”