Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

can't remember title and author novel (Victorian London, mistaken identity))

Trying to remember a title or an author? Want to know who or what a particular novel is about? Want a recommendation for books about a particular person or period? Post here!
archiefman
Currently reading: a contemporary suspense novel (is not relevant to my search)
Interest in HF: I would like to trace a historical novel (set in Victorian London) that I only read partly some years ago. Maybe your forum participants can help me.
Preferred HF: 19th century

can't remember title and author novel (Victorian London, mistaken identity))

Post by archiefman » Sun November 26th, 2017, 9:59 pm

About three years ago, while vacationing in France (I'm a Dutchman) we stayed a few days in a bed and breakfast in the Dordogne, run by an English couple. As it rained part of the time, I chose a paperback to read from their well stocked library.
It was a novel set in Victorian London (or maybe the surroundings) about 1870, and one of the main topics was a case of mistaken identity or identity fraud. One of the main characters was a lawyer. Alas I had only time to reach half of the novel.
As far as I can remember the author's name started with a D, an E or an F, and I guess the novel was published between 1995 and 2010.

Can anybody help me as to title and author?

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Re: can't remember title and author novel (Victorian London, mistaken identity))

Post by Lisa » Fri December 1st, 2017, 12:27 pm

Hi, I'm afraid I can't help and looks like no-one else has chimed in either. Do you remember any more specific details, the description is a little vague.

Also if you haven't tried already, there's also a Reddit for "name that book": https://www.reddit.com/r/whatsthatbook/

Final suggestion, did you try contacting the B&B owners? It's a random query but since it was in their library they should be able to help, plus I'm sure they'll be happy to hear that someone remembers their library so fondly!

Good luck!

archiefman
Currently reading: a contemporary suspense novel (is not relevant to my search)
Interest in HF: I would like to trace a historical novel (set in Victorian London) that I only read partly some years ago. Maybe your forum participants can help me.
Preferred HF: 19th century

Re: can't remember title and author novel (Victorian London, mistaken identity))

Post by archiefman » Fri December 1st, 2017, 1:46 pm

Thanks, Lisa, for your suggestions. I will try both.

Alas all other memories of the novel are rather vague, so that won't help.

Return to “Ask Your Fellow Readers”