Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

King Philip IV of France

Trying to remember a title or an author? Want to know who or what a particular novel is about? Want a recommendation for books about a particular person or period? Post here!
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

King Philip IV of France

Post by Rowan » Mon November 13th, 2017, 1:51 pm

I'm looking for historical fiction about King Philip IV of France. I've just finished reading an article about the Knights Templar in the October issue of BBC History Magazine and it occurred to me that I should read something about him to see the downfall of the Templars from his perspective. Any suggestions?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: King Philip IV of France

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon November 13th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Marice Druon's The Iron King deals with Philip the Fair. I've only read the first of the four novels in the series, which I enjoyed immensely as a teen, but on a recent re-read found a bit tedious. Could have been my mood. YMMV.
https://www.amazon.com/Iron-King-Accurs ... 0007491263

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Tue November 14th, 2017, 5:19 pm

The whole series is about Philip or only this first book?

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue November 14th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Rowan wrote:The whole series is about Philip or only this first book?
Philip is in the first book only. However he's mentioned by name in the subsequent novels.

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Wed November 15th, 2017, 3:17 pm

Thanks PG

FredQ
Technical Librarian
Currently reading: The Templars, Two Kings and a Pope
Interest in HF: I like how HF can fill in the gaps where we don't have enough information.
Preferred HF: Everything about the Knights Templars

Post by FredQ » Thu November 16th, 2017, 12:37 pm

I also recommend the first book of the series The Accursed Kings from Maurice Druon. The other books are about the kingdom in chaos after his death.

A while ago I read a trilogy about the Templars which I really liked. The first book is about the creation of the order, the third book is about the fall. I suppose it talks a little bit more of the Templars and Nogaret than the King Philip but still :) Order in Chaos by Jack Whyte

https://www.goodreads.com/series/49567-templar-trilogy

Return to “Ask Your Fellow Readers”