Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where To Next?

Trying to remember a title or an author? Want to know who or what a particular novel is about? Want a recommendation for books about a particular person or period? Post here!
Ben Davies
Currently reading: Blood cries Afar

Where To Next?

Post by Ben Davies » Fri July 10th, 2015, 11:44 am

I was having a chat to one of the Mums at the school gate. She's reading my book and she asked how I came by the idea of setting a story in a place and time she'd never heard of.
It got me thinking: what is the favorite time and place you can think of where you'd like to read a fiction story but haven't, because as far as you know there isn't one for that event / time.

I've always thought that the story of Sir Gregor MacGregor and his fraudulent Land scheme in South America the fictional Republic of Poyais. Its got everything, Dashing regency London, high stakes swindling with a counterpoint in the dreadful swamps of the Mosquito Coast
Last edited by Ben Davies on Fri July 10th, 2015, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvangelineH
Scribbler

Post by EvangelineH » Sat July 11th, 2015, 7:18 am

I'd like a novel set in FDR's White House, around the passing of the New Deal.
Author of Edwardian/WWI Romantic Historical Fiction & History Blogger

Author Website | Edwardian Promenade | Twitter

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat July 11th, 2015, 7:33 pm

I'm not so picky about time and place, I just like a ripping good read. But I admit that sometimes the topic will make me try a sample chapter, as I did recently with The Thread, set in early 20th century Greece.

It's more important to me that the writer knows his topic / does his research. Colin Falconer lost me forever when he flubbed (repeatedly) on the name of a major historical figure. I've never even been tempted to try another of his books. Too many other options.

In fact, that's the problem with the question--any place or time that comes to mind, I immediately recal several novels set there that I mean to read and haven't got around to yet.

So go with whatever attracts your own passion, and it will help you write a better story. To quote a rock song, "You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself."

Return to “Ask Your Fellow Readers”