Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Books on Joan of Kent

Trying to remember a title or an author? Want to know who or what a particular novel is about? Want a recommendation for books about a particular person or period? Post here!
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Books on Joan of Kent

Post by Misfit » Wed May 14th, 2014, 2:51 pm

I'm looking for ideas not only for potential books to read, but would like to start a Listopia at Goodreads for books where Joan is the main character and/or very prominently featured (not secondary character).

I can think of the Karen Harper book, there's the new one from Emma Campion and Juliet Dymoke's Lady of the Garter.

Fiction and NF suggestions welcomed.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Wed May 14th, 2014, 10:33 pm

That's all I know of as well, apart from a novel about the black prince called "I Serve" but I don't know how much Joan might be in it. I suspect not much, if at all.

As for non fiction, I don't know of anything dedicated to her, though she should be included in any bio of her husband: http://www.royalty.nu/Europe/England/Pl ... lackPrince

Edward the Black Prince: Power in Medieval Europe by David Green. Biography of of the most controversial and flamboyant characters in English history, Edward the "Black Prince," son of King Edward III.

Edward, Prince of Wales and Aquitaine by Richard Barber. Biography that separates the legendary prince's image from reality.

Victory at Poitiers: The Black Prince and the Medieval Art of War by Christian Teutsch. In 1356, the small English army of Edward, the Black Prince, crushed the forces of the French King Jean II. This book reassesses the classic battle.

In the Steps of the Black Prince: The Road to Poitiers, 1355-1356 by Peter Hoskins. The author walked more than 1,300 miles across France, retracing the routes of English king Edward III's son Edward the Black Prince.

Additionally, I know she is included in "Queens Consort" by Lisa Hilton.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Thu May 15th, 2014, 9:24 am

Joan definitely features in Hugh and Bess by Susan Higginbotham, but as a secondary character. Still she is quite prominent in parts IIRC.

ETA: According to Wikipedia she features heavily in The Lady Royal by Molly Costain Haycraft, and she is represented by the principal character Ginevra in Susan Howatch's Wheel of Fortune. I haven't read either of these though.

There are a couple other books mentioned but where she appears as a secondary character.
Last edited by Lisa on Thu May 15th, 2014, 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu May 15th, 2014, 4:20 pm

Thanks, both of you. It was in the back of my head with Susan H and a book of hers, but my sleep-deprived brain couldn't bring the title to mind. ;) :) :o

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue May 27th, 2014, 9:16 pm

I see you've mentioned this one, but here's a bit more info about it. Emma Campion has written a novel about Joan of Kent which is due for release July/August this year. It's called The Triple Knot.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed May 28th, 2014, 3:54 pm

[quote=""annis""]I see you've mentioned this one, but here's a bit more info about it. Emma Campion has written a novel about Joan of Kent which is due for release July/August this year. It's called The Triple Knot.[/quote]

Thanks Annis.

marklord
Scribbler

Post by marklord » Mon June 2nd, 2014, 1:32 pm

I have a feeling that she features as a secondary character in The People's Queen by Vanora Bennett - she's portrayed in a pretty bad light - fat and and not a very nice person, I seem to remember.

Would be interested to hear of any other portrayals too as she'll probably feature in a book I'm writing soon.
Editor of Alt Hist, the new magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History.

Writer of Historical Fantasy, visit my site for more details.

Latest novels:
Hell has its Demons (Historical Fantasy)
By the Sword's Edge (Volume 1 of a serialized novel - Medieval Action and Adventure)

SallyWicked

Post by SallyWicked » Fri May 15th, 2015, 12:21 pm

Fair Maid of Kent by Maureen Peters

Return to “Ask Your Fellow Readers”