Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Amazon Audible?

Trying to remember a title or an author? Want to know who or what a particular novel is about? Want a recommendation for books about a particular person or period? Post here!
red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Tue January 21st, 2014, 1:22 am

[quote=""wendy""]My favorite is Gillian Flynn's GONE GIRL. Not HF but an excellent, dark, sophisticated tale about a marriage-gone-wrong. I loved this on Audible because it is narrated in two voices - a male and female speaker - that beautifully matches the two central characters of the novel. Well worth a read / listen.[/quote]

Yes, Gone Girl was great on the cd I borrowed from the library. I'm sure it must be the same as the Audible version. I also thought the reader for Edward Rutherfurd's Paris was excellent.

Thank you all for the input.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed January 22nd, 2014, 11:42 am

I'm not a big lover of audiobooks as I find it difficult to concentrate when listening! I had that problem at school, too, if the subject didn't interest me. I was always being told off for not concentrating. LOL. However, I do have an Audible account. I listen to favourite books which I've already read whilst out walking the dogs. That way it doesn't matter too much if I miss something! :rolleyes: :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Wolfshead
Scribbler

Re: Amazon Audible?

Post by Wolfshead » Sat February 13th, 2016, 3:44 pm

I got an Audible account purely to check out my own audiobooks there, make sure they worked and so on. I didn't think I'd ever become a regular listener, but I have! I'm listening to Bernard Cornwell's newest one now, also bought a Ben Kane one on special offer and last month it was Graham Hancock's new book.
My favourite so far is probably the HP LOvecraft Necronomicon collection. Good fun listening to that when I'm out at work in the dark streets of Glasgow in the winter... :shock:

The selection of histfic is pretty good with the likes of Cornwell, Kane, Simon Scarrow, Anthony Riches and myself of course!

I like to try other things too though, like lectures on psychology or the one I bought about Near Death Experiences. Think my next credit might go towards the book about the Dyatlov Pass incident (Google it if you don't know what it is, it's a freaky story!)

Return to “Ask Your Fellow Readers”