Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Suggesting a book for Kindlization?

Trying to remember a title or an author? Want to know who or what a particular novel is about? Want a recommendation for books about a particular person or period? Post here!
Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Thu September 19th, 2013, 9:48 pm

I think I have only seen that " I would like to read on Kindle" thing on the Amazon UK, not on Amazon US.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 19th, 2013, 9:53 pm

[quote=""Amanda""]I think I have only seen that " I would like to read on Kindle" thing on the Amazon UK, not on Amazon US.[/quote]

I just looked up an old OOP on the UK site, and I don't see the kindle button.

Annis, what is the country of origin of your kindle? UK or US?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri September 20th, 2013, 3:45 am

My Kindle was bought via Amazon.com, Misfit, so guess that would be US. I can't access Kindle titles from Amazon UK in any case - a sore point with us Australasians, seeing most of our "real" books here are traditionally sourced from the UK. However these days I mostly buy for my iPad using my Kindle a/c. I have defintely seen the "I'd like to read on Kindle" on Amazon.com in the past, which was why I was puzzled when the option disappeared.

Mythica, I've checked on both Amazon.com amd Amazon UK and no, that right hand stuff opposite the Product Details in your screenshot just doesn't show up at all for me.
Last edited by annis on Fri September 20th, 2013, 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Fri September 20th, 2013, 9:07 am

It must be because you're in Australia - their system must only be able to send requests to US publishers. I'm in the UK but I use the US store, it doesn't show on the UK site for me either.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun September 22nd, 2013, 4:59 am

It doesn't show up for me on either Amazon US or UK. I've given up on Amazon and gone straight to the publisher, Oxford University Press. They reissued the first of Welch's Carey novels, Knight Crusader, earlier this year in both p/b and Kindle editions, so I figure it won't hurt to suggest that they do the same for the rest of the series. I believe that Ronald Welch's daughter holds the rights to his work, but presumably OUP have already negotiated with her.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

knight crusader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sun September 22nd, 2013, 8:56 am

Hi Annis,
I've had a similar problem, funnily enough with the same book. I wanted to buy Knight Crusader for my kindle but it wouldn't let me buy it from the Amazon UK site (my kindle is from the US). The price difference between the two was significant, the US version was about 4 times the price of the UK version. So I won't be reading that book for awhile

Annoying because in general the UK selection is more to my tastes. If I'd known, I'd have bought the UK kindle. For some reason I'd assumed Amazon was Amazon, having bought "normal" books from both sites in the past.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun September 22nd, 2013, 5:50 pm

Keny, I might be wrong, but I think what counts is not where you buy your Kindle, but where in the world you're registered through your Amazon account.

I was able to buy the Kindle version of Knight Crusader recently from Amazon US for about NZ$8.00 (approx. US$10.00)- quite reasonable. OUP have also reissued the book as a p/b and it's available on Book Depository for NZ $12.00 (approx. US$14.00). I'm hoping they might consider reissuing the rest of the Carey Family series as well.
Last edited by annis on Sun September 22nd, 2013, 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Mon September 23rd, 2013, 6:02 pm

Aye, but as I bought it in the US I registered it there so too late to change now as far as I can tell.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Thu January 30th, 2014, 5:01 am

Found another way to do this today.

Go to kindle.amazon.com

Look up the book you are interested in, and if it is not available on kindle already, there should be an option "please tell the publisher: I'd Like to read this book on Kindle".

I've tested it with a few books and the only ones it doesn't seem to appear on is if there is already a kindle version available, but it just isn't for sale in Australia.

Return to “Ask Your Fellow Readers”