Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

French Royal Mistresses

Trying to remember a title or an author? Want to know who or what a particular novel is about? Want a recommendation for books about a particular person or period? Post here!
Helen_Davis

French Royal Mistresses

Post by Helen_Davis » Wed April 24th, 2013, 3:58 am

Are there any novels on the French Royal mistresses, such as Diane de Poitiers or Madame Pompadour? I have Madame du Barry by Jean Plaidy and am enjoying it very much.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed April 24th, 2013, 7:12 am

Diane Haeger wrote a novel about Diane de Poitiers called Courtesan.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Wed April 24th, 2013, 9:25 am

There is Mistress of the Sun by Sandra Gulland and Louise de Valliere (part of the Three Musketeers saga) by Alexandre Dumas.

I think I have a couple of others that might be relevent....will have a think.

I wish there was more historical fiction about the French court.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Wed April 24th, 2013, 9:33 am

Old and OOP but The Enchanting Courtesan by Lozania Prole is about Madame du Barry. I wouldn't be surprised if that author covered a few other french mistresses as she churned out the books...also under the name Ursula Bloom (and others).

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Thu April 25th, 2013, 3:13 am

Thanks! Anything on Madame Pompadour? She's my favorite!

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri April 26th, 2013, 12:23 am

This website has a great listing of books, fiction and nonfiction, about royalty. Here's the link to the French area: http://www.royalty.nu/Europe/France/index.html#books Scroll through and look for the ones labeled "novel."
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “Ask Your Fellow Readers”