Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Need a cheery read!

Trying to remember a title or an author? Want to know who or what a particular novel is about? Want a recommendation for books about a particular person or period? Post here!
Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon November 5th, 2012, 7:21 pm

[quote=""annis""]Is that the marker stone for the Battle of Harlaw there, Lady of B? Do you live nearby?[/quote]

Yes indeed, I do live very close. If you've recognised it, does that mean you're nearby too, or have visited? I have to admit it's not my own photo; when I started posting I wanted an avatar quickly so I 'borrowed' the photo from Wikipedia for now (creative commons, so it's fine!). I'm waiting for a nice day so I can actually go out and get a decent photo of Bennachie myself. Maybe I'll wait until it snows :)

By the way, and still a bit off-topic, I realised some folks might not be sure how to pronounce the name of my favourite place. That would be Ben-na-hee.

Well, I'm starting to feel better already. Sorting out items from my "stressful things list" one by one, and looking forward to curling up with a good book later. Always happy to hear more suggestions though!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon November 5th, 2012, 9:09 pm

No, I don't live in Scotland, but there is a strong family connection dating back to the 19th century migrations to places like New Zealand where I live.

I am addicted to Scottish crime fiction and Scottish folk music, though and The Old Blind Dogs' version of the Battle of Harlaw song is one of my favourites :)

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Tue November 6th, 2012, 12:22 pm

[quote=""Lady of Bennachie""]Thanks everyone! Looks like some good suggestions, I haven't actually read any of these. I think some will be easier to get hold of than others though (e.g. The Flower Reader doesn't seem to be out yet in the UK, and the US edition on Amazon is a bit pricey). A Kindle is definitely at the top of my Christmas list this year.

In the meantime, I was browsing the book section of a charity shop at lunchtime and found a Georgette Heyer mystery, A Blunt Instrument. I've never read any of her regency novels but I've heard they're quite funny, so this short mystery should do the trick until I track down some of the other books mentioned. A few cheerful reads in a row should have me feeling better :) [/quote]

Yes, I can second Georgette Heyer's Regency novels. The ones I've read (not that many yet) have been sharp, very well written and great fun.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue November 6th, 2012, 2:13 pm

I usually turn to "cosy" crime if I need something lighter. There's not that much cosy crime in HF, although M C Beaton, who writes the Agatha Raisin books, has a series set in Edwardian times which was recently re-issued - the first one is "Snobbery with Violence" and there are 3 others too; it was a light read with some nice touches, and a likeable heroine (who ends up in a moat at one point!), plus a fairly attractive hero, who she doesn't like very much.....
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Lisa
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Wed November 7th, 2012, 9:43 pm

[quote=""annis""]
The Old Blind Dogs' version of the Battle of Harlaw song [/quote]
Brilliant! I think my dad knows these guys - musical family, I used to be in a ceilidh band myself. I'm always happy to see Doric getting exposure :)

And so far, Georgette Heyer has made me laugh out loud quite a few times. Feeling much better :)

PeterKralic
Scribbler
Currently reading: A Christmas With The Dodger by Charlton Daines
Interest in HF: A teacher put a Historical Fiction book in my hands when I was ten and I immediately looked for more. It brings history to life!
Favourite HF book: Cannot choose!
Preferred HF: Ancient Egypt, Barbarian invasions of Europe c.200-400, Victorian England

Re: Need a cheery read!

Post by PeterKralic » Tue December 1st, 2015, 1:07 pm

If you haven't found anything yet, the Christmas book I'm reading now is very light hearted and good fun. A Christmas With The Dodger by Charlton Daines. The Artful Dodger is mature and settled, and has a foster son as well as children of his own, but a leopard never totally changes its spots.

Lisa
Bibliophile

Re: Need a cheery read!

Post by Lisa » Wed December 2nd, 2015, 11:53 am

PeterKralic wrote:If you haven't found anything yet, the Christmas book I'm reading now is very light hearted and good fun. A Christmas With The Dodger by Charlton Daines. The Artful Dodger is mature and settled, and has a foster son as well as children of his own, but a leopard never totally changes its spots.
Thanks! I'm actually making a list of Christmas reads for the next month just now, so cheers for the rec!

Return to “Ask Your Fellow Readers”