Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Persian Empire

Trying to remember a title or an author? Want to know who or what a particular novel is about? Want a recommendation for books about a particular person or period? Post here!
The Czar
Reader

Persian Empire

Post by The Czar » Wed May 9th, 2012, 2:43 pm

I have lately become fascinated with the late Roman and Byzantine empires. Really anything from the reign of Augustus to the fall of Constantinople in the 15th century.

I've read a lot of HF on the period(s), as well as some straight history, and I have decided I need to do some more reading into the "villains", i.e. the various "barbarian" tribes, and more importantly, the Persians.

Now obviously, the Persian or Parthian empire existed for a long time, so no one book, HF or Straight history, is going to cover the waterfront.

The only HF i've found that deals with the Persians much is Creation by Gore Vidal.

Anybody got any recommendations? Either HF or straight history is fine.
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

marklord
Scribbler

Post by marklord » Wed July 25th, 2012, 2:36 pm

I am currently reading (well listening to the audiobook) Harry Sidebottom's Fire in the East, which covers the war between the Romans and the Sassanids. There's a bit about the Persian culture in there, not in depth, but might be enough to feed your hunger for all things Persian.

I would recommend Vidal's Julian if you are into the Late Roman period. I don't remember there being a lot on the Persians though, but I read it a while ago now so can't recall specifics.
Editor of Alt Hist, the new magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History.

Writer of Historical Fantasy, visit my site for more details.

Latest novels:
Hell has its Demons (Historical Fantasy)
By the Sword's Edge (Volume 1 of a serialized novel - Medieval Action and Adventure)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed July 25th, 2012, 6:14 pm

We have a thread somewhere about the Persia/Parthian Empires if I can find it...

Here it is
http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... php?t=5446

Tom Holland, who wrote the non-fiction book Persian Fire has recently written another called In the Shadow of the Swordwhich might be of interest.

I''ve just been reading Christian Cameron's novels Killer of Men and Marathon, Books 1 & 2 in his Long War series - excellent on the origins of the Pelopponesian War between Greece and the Persian Empire and its progress.

Also enjoyed Nick Brown's The Siege -set during the Palmyrian Rebeliion against Rome.

Recommended as a reference: Jona Lendering's Livius website- an excellent resource for subjects relating to the ancient world
http://www.livius.org/persia.html
Last edited by annis on Wed July 25th, 2012, 6:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu July 26th, 2012, 5:51 pm

Nearly forgot one which has come out recently- Manda Scott's Eagle of the Twelfth - may have been mentioned in the previous list. Also Alfred Duggan's Winter Quarters - two aristocratic young Gauls join Caesar's army as auxiliary cavalrymen and later take part in Crassus' doomed Parthian campaign.
Last edited by annis on Thu July 26th, 2012, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R.W.Ware
Scribbler

Post by R.W.Ware » Thu September 27th, 2012, 2:29 am

Last edited by R.W.Ware on Thu September 27th, 2012, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding two more from an author's recommendations...
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. Never allow thoughts of gain lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.

--David Gemmell, The First Chronicles of Druss The Legend

Antoine Vanner
Reader

Winter Quarters by Alfred Duggan

Post by Antoine Vanner » Sat October 20th, 2012, 12:54 pm

Winter Quarters by Alfred Duggan tells of the adventures of a Gaulish mercenary who is involved in the doomed campaign against the Parthians by Crassus, the luckless third member of the First Triumvirate. With the exception of a small cavalry force which escaped under the command of Cassius (later assassin of Julius Caesar), Crassus's entire army was surrounded at Carrhae, in modern Iraq, and forced to surrender. Crassus killed himself - which was poetic justice, since he had put down the rebellion of Spartacus with great brutality, but it was hard on the rank and file. Duggan describes the campaign, and its aftermath, well.
Last edited by Antoine Vanner on Sat October 20th, 2012, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Fri February 22nd, 2013, 4:54 am

BUMP

Any novels about the queens of Persia? I'm really interested in fiction about them, if it exists in English...

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun February 24th, 2013, 6:17 pm

There's a YA novel by Susan Fletcher, Shadow Spinner, about a girl who becomes a servant to Sheherezade, which is set in Persia. I've reviewed it at HistoricalNovels.info.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sun February 24th, 2013, 6:46 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]There's a YA novel by Susan Fletcher, Shadow Spinner, about a girl who becomes a servant to Sheherezade, which is set in Persia. I've reviewed it at HistoricalNovels.info.[/quote]

Thanks Margaret!

Return to “Ask Your Fellow Readers”