Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rockygirl's Late Start 2012 Reads

Keep track of what you read in 2012. One thread per member, please.
rockygirl
Avid Reader

Rockygirl's Late Start 2012 Reads

Post by rockygirl » Tue June 12th, 2012, 2:10 am

Madame Tussard by Michelle Moran
I LOVE Michelle's books. This one, I think, was her best yet. I've been to several of the museums, but knew little about the woman behind the wax, as it were. I was fascinated with the ways her family survived the French Revolution. HF

Annie's Ghosts: A Journey into a Family Secret by Steve Luxenberg
This book is part memoir and part investigative journalism. Luxenberg finds out his mother had a disabled sister, that she always kept hidden. This book is for anyone into family history stories. As a sideline, it also goes into depth on the treatment of mental illness in the mid 20th century. NF

Three Maids for a Crown by Ella March Chase
The three maids are the Grey sisters. They take turns telling the story of their family's rise and fall. They are portrayed very sympathetically by Chase, the victims of ambitious, self-centered parents. HF

The Lace Dowry by Andrea Cheng
I have mixed feelings about this one. It's a YA. I think the classic battles between mother and teenaged daughter transcend the times. And, learning about Halas lace (which is incredibly beautiful) was certainly interesting. BUT, I think this book was very badly edited--the story really never flows. HF YA

Becoming Marie Antoinette by Juliet Grey
I add my voice to those of you who found it excellent!!!
Last edited by rockygirl on Wed June 27th, 2012, 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Sun June 17th, 2012, 3:25 am

Finding Grace by Shirley Haizlip Taylor (memoir)
I've already gone on and on about this book on another thread.

Jim and Me by Dan Gutman (children's historical fiction)
Two boys time travel to meet Jim Thorpe.
Currently reading Cocaine Blues.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Mon June 18th, 2012, 12:18 am

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

Incredibly implausible, but entertaining.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Sun June 24th, 2012, 9:06 am

I couldn't fit An Enduring Love into my purse, so the last few days, I've been reading Grave Goods by Ariana Franklin. I knew nothing about this series when I picked up this volume at the used book store.

This is an historical mystery set in the time of Henry II. A woman physician is sent by the King to confirm that the bones of Arthur have been found. The physician, Adelia, actually ends up pursing several mysteries, all of which turn out to be related.

I liked it, just ordered the rest of the series for my Nook.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun June 24th, 2012, 12:33 pm

[quote=""rockygirl""]I couldn't fit An Enduring Love into my purse, so the last few days, I've been reading Grave Goods by Ariana Franklin. I knew nothing about this series when I picked up this volume at the used book store.

This is an historical mystery set in the time of Henry II. A woman physician is sent by the King to confirm that the bones of Arthur have been found. The physician, Adelia, actually ends up pursing several mysteries, all of which turn out to be related.

I liked it, just ordered the rest of the series for my Nook.[/quote]

Ariana Franklin was a name used by author Diana Norman, who passed away last year. Enjoy those four Adelia books she wrote as unfortunately, there will be no more.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/fe ... n-obituary
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Mon June 25th, 2012, 7:58 pm

That's really sad.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Mon June 25th, 2012, 8:00 pm

Again, because the Empress's book is too heavy to lug around, I read something in the meantime.

Crowned in a Far Country by Princess Michael of Kent. Very fun and gossipy. Although, I have to wonder about calling your spouse's great-grandmother the most selfish woman around went over with the royal family.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Wed June 27th, 2012, 4:20 am

It's probably misleading at this point to say that I am reading An Enduring Love, but I have had a lot of appointments lately and I can't fit it in my purse.

Today's finishes---

Born Blue by Han Nolan
Nolan is one of the best YA authors out there. She writes weighty books with troubled and flawed characters. Her teens deal with the dark side of life. In this one, Jane, the daughter of an addict, dreams of being a professional singer. On her quest, she encounters foster care, homelessness, pregnancy, drug abuse, and reconcilation with her mother. She's a manipulative and unrealistic teen, who is not easy to like. Yet, Nolan writes her so well, it's hard not to feel sorry for her. YA Contemporary Fiction

Becoming Sister Wives by Kody, Meri, Janelle, Christine, and Robyn Brown
I admit to being addicted to reality tv and overinterested in polygamy, so TLC's Sister Wives is right up my alley. While this book has no literary value whatsoever, the family pulls no punches about the pluses and minuses of their lifestyle. Totally fluffy, I read it in two hours, but there's something about this family I find compelling.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Sat June 30th, 2012, 1:56 am

Death at Bishop's Keep by Robin Paige

Set in the Victorian period in the English countryside. Fast paced historical mystery.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Wed July 18th, 2012, 1:51 am

Just finished the first three in Barbara Hamilton's series about Abigail Adams, historical sleuth. Nice cozies, with a lot of insight into the Sons of Liberty. In order, they are The Ninth Daughter, A Marked Man, and Sup with the Devil. I didn't like the first one as much as I liked the other two, and I think you could read them out of order if you were familiar with timeline of what happened after the Boston Tea Party.

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2012”