Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bec's Reading Log

Keep track of what you read in 2012. One thread per member, please.
rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Bec's Reading Log

Post by rebecca » Tue April 10th, 2012, 1:53 am

Secrets by Sheila Holland(Charlotte Lamb)5/5

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier 5/5

The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George 3/5

The love of my life(non H/F) By Louise Douglas 3/5

The Believers by Zoe Heller 2/5

The Second Duchess by Elizabeth Loupas 5/5(brillaint!)

Jezebel by Eleanor De Jong didn't finish it.

The Obama's by Jodi Kantor 3/5

Serena by Ron Rash 3/5

Merlin Trilogy by Mary Stewart 5/5

In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson 3/5

The Lady of Bolton Hill by Elizabeth Camden 3/5

Thwarted Queen by Cynthia Sally Haggard 3/5

That's my list for this year so far.....Now on to my huge TBR books :D

Bec :)

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed April 11th, 2012, 8:53 pm

I thought you read something about Wallis Simpson?? And what about all of the royal books-Queen Elizabeth, Prince Phillip-or maybe you just added them to your TBR pile. Darn Goodreads!
Brenna

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu April 12th, 2012, 1:57 am

[quote=""Brenna""]I thought you read something about Wallis Simpson?? And what about all of the royal books-Queen Elizabeth, Prince Phillip-or maybe you just added them to your TBR pile. Darn Goodreads![/quote]

You're right Brenna! 'That Woman' by Anne Sebba. I didn't finish it mainly because the author seemed obsessed with Wallis Simpson sexual identity, she even excuses her first husbands abusive behaviour and blames Wallis herself. It got boring and that is death to an author. I had read of these rumours before so she bought nothing new to the table, and so I gave up on the book.

I also have two books on the Queen both of which are on my TBR list :D Are you a book psychic by chance? :eek: :D :p LOL.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue May 8th, 2012, 4:12 am

APRIL Reads

Frances: The Story of Princess Diana's Mother by Max Riddington 3/5I think the author was too much enraptured with her subject. I have always found Diana's mother a rather tragic figure and feel a grave injustice was done to her which no mother should endure. But the book I'd love to read is a real story of Ruth Fermoy, now that lady truly is ruthless.

Mrs Mahoney's Secret War by Claudia Strachan 3/5

Nella Last in the 1950's by Nella Last Robert Malcolmson 4/5

Diana and Jackie: Maidens, Mothers Myths by Jay Mulvaney 4/5I found it interesting to see how both women handled their husbands infidelity and the way they raised their children. I admire both ladies but feel Jackie did it better.

Game of Thrones and Philosophy by Henry Jacoby & William Irwin 5/5
An interesting look at the program and books and very helpful for those who struggle to 'see' what Martin is producing.

Elizabeth the Queen by Sally Bedell Smith 3/5Nothing new but it is a solid biography.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

May Reads

Post by rebecca » Thu June 14th, 2012, 2:47 am

May Reads

Prince William by Penny Junor 2/5

Rebel by Jack Whyte 2/5

The Taker by Alma Katsu 3/5

Dancing with Mrs Dalloway 3/5

The Queen Mother by Lady Colin Campbell 4/5(some of her conclusions are a bit off the mark)

Mrs Kennedy and Me by Clint Hill 3/5

Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel 5/5(excellent!) :D

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat September 15th, 2012, 5:29 am

August/September Reads

The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey 5/5. A great read :D .(what took me so long?:confused :) :p

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout 2/5 I didn't finish it.

The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne by Brian Moore 5/5. An excellent book.

Mrs Robinson's Disgrace by Kate Summercscale 2/5. I really wanted to love this book, but something was missing and I gave up half way through.

The Flower Reader by Elizabeth Loupas 3/5. I liked it.

Gilded Lives, Fatal Voyage by Hugh Brewster.2/5 This book annoyed me. I wanted to know about the people and not what went on in their bedrooms. It bored me which is fatal for a book.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat September 15th, 2012, 5:07 pm

I gave up on Kate Summerscale's previous book, "The Suspicions of Mr Whicher", after about 130 pages. Nothing would entice me to read another one of her books!
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu September 20th, 2012, 4:32 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]I gave up on Kate Summerscale's previous book, "The Suspicions of Mr Whicher", after about 130 pages. Nothing would entice me to read another one of her books![/quote]

I'm with you Madeleine, I wont be reading any more of her books either! I didn't read the book you mentioned but took it for granted it must've been good becaause it was picked up for TV. I never watched that TV show either....Perhaps they make better movies than books? :rolleyes:

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu September 20th, 2012, 4:33 am

Oops I forgot to mention one other book.

'The Kingmakers Daughter by Philippa Gregory. 3/5 An enjoyable but non taxing read.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu September 20th, 2012, 8:40 am

The TV version of "Mr Whicher" was actually pretty good, so it might be worth catching. I remember wishing that the book was more like the TV version!
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2012”