Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

princess's 2012 Reading Log

Keep track of what you read in 2012. One thread per member, please.
princess
Reader

princess's 2012 Reading Log

Post by princess » Sat February 25th, 2012, 8:52 pm

I've not been on here in quite some time due to a new addition to our family :) but I have managed to squeeze in some reading. The following were my favourites:

The Traitor's Wife - Kathleen Kent
The Hangman's Daughter - Oliver Potzsch
The Maid - Kimberly Cutter
The King's Daughter - Christie Dickason
Lady of the English - Elizabeth Chadwick
A Plague of Sinners - Paul Lawrence

I was really looking forward to "The Gallows Curse" by Karen Maitland but I have to say I was really disappointed with it - I don't think it was as good as her previous two books.
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Sat April 21st, 2012, 8:45 pm

Noble Assassin by Christie Dickason - struggled with it a bit if I'm honest. I don't think it lived up to The King's Daughter by the same author.

The Mill Children by Suzanne Marshall - decent enough read, although predictable.
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat April 21st, 2012, 9:20 pm

Posted by Princess
Noble Assassin by Christie Dickason - struggled with it a bit if I'm honest. I don't think it lived up to The King's Daughter by the same author.
I enjoyed both novels but as I said in my review here, I think Elizabeth is a much more likable character, which makes her story more appealing. However Dickason has, as far as I can tell, captured Lucy's personality very well - she's contradictory - impulsive and generous, but also capricious, sharp, and a woman with an eye for the main chance. Certainly reading the two novels together gave me a greater understanding of the early Jacobean period.

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Thu October 18th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Once again, haven't been on in ages but I've read plenty, the following being highlights:

The Winter Palace - Eva Stachniak
To Defy a King - Elizabeth Chadwick
My Name is Mary Sutter - Robin Oliveira
The Prisoner of Heaven - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Painted Lady - Maeve Haran
Daughters of the Witching Hill - Mary Sharratt
The Painted Bridge - Wendy Wallace
The Blackhouse - Peter May
The Lewis Man - Peter May
The Hangman's Daughter - Oliver Potzsch
The Dark Monk - Oliver Potzsch
The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton
The House at Riverton - Kate Morton

Decent enough but disappointing after The Island , were The Return and The Thread by Victoria Hislop.

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Mon January 14th, 2013, 11:00 pm

The Bloodletter's Daughter - Linda Lafferty

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2012”