Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tsjmom's Book List 2012

Keep track of what you read in 2012. One thread per member, please.
tsjmom
Reader

Tsjmom's Book List 2012

Post by tsjmom » Tue January 10th, 2012, 10:11 pm

New year, same goal = 52 books :)

1. 'Paris to Die For' - 2/5
2. 'Let's Take the Long Way Home' - G. Caldwell 3.5/5
3. 'Georgia's Kitchen' - 4/5
4. 'Saving Grace' - 3.5/5
5. 'Clara's War' - C. Schwarz 4/5
6. 'The Frenchwoman' - J. Mackin 3.5/5
7. 'The Mermaid's Chair' - S. Monk Kidd 2/5
8. 'The Canterbury Papers' - J. K. Healey 3/5
9. 'The Queen and the Courtesan' - F. Lightfoot 3.5/5
10. 'Left Bank' - K. Muir 1.5/5
11. 'The Rose Garden' - S. Kearsley 5/5
12. 'The Language of Flowers' - V. Diffenbaugh 4/5
13. 'The Great Gatsby' - F. S. Fitzgerald 3.5/5
14. 'Copper Beach' - 1/5
15. 'The King's Agent' - D. Russo Martin 3.5/5
16. 'Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons' - L. Londryk 5/5
17. 'The Murder in the Tower' - J. Plaidy 5/5
18. 'A Fatal Waltz' - T. Alexander 2.5/5
19. 'My Enemy's Cradle' - 5/5
20. 'Between Friends' - D. Macomber 5/5
21. 'The King's Agent' - C. Trent 2/5
22. 'The Crown' - 3.5/5
23. 'Cherry Cheesecake Murder' - 2/5
24. 'The House on Legare Street' - K. White 4.5/5
25. 'Holly's Inbox' - 3/5
26. 'Sister Queens' - 4/5
27. 'Twelve Sharp' - J. Evanovich 3/5
28. 'The Seamstress' - 4.5/5
29. 'Ocean Beach' - W. Wax 3/5
Last edited by tsjmom on Thu September 27th, 2012, 2:09 am, edited 19 times in total.

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Wed February 15th, 2012, 3:20 pm

As you can see my book choices thus far have been "meh". Need to be more selective.

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 2:35 pm

I'm still in a bit of a slump re: the quality/enjoyment of the books I've been reading. Plus I'm finding it more difficult to have a good chunk of time to really get into them, but with spring break here I'm hoping to read 2-3 novels next wk.

Re: The Great Gatsby and Left Bank, I just don't enjoy reading about superficial people. That's one of the reasons I've never gotten into Jane Austen et al. I find them incredibly boring and "hard to swallow".

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Thu May 10th, 2012, 6:51 pm

Yaaayyy! With 'The King's Women' I finally got a fabulous, can't put it down read. It had been a long time coming. Even though I really enjoy WW2 history and 18th century French HF, it's a challenge to find interesting books set then because I already know so much about those periods. With TKW by Deryn Lake I found a French HF set during the 15th century and King Charles VII that I knew very little about - a win/win situation!

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri May 11th, 2012, 3:11 am

Hi tsjmom :)
have you read 'The Second Duchess' by Elizabeth Loupas? It is a great read and I normally don't care for the mystery genre, but this book kept me intrigued to the last. It is the best book I have read so far this year. As for Jane Austen my favourite book is Persuasion where the leading character Anne Elliot is not wonderfully gorgeous, but she has a sweet personality & tries her hardest to win over Captain Wentworth. I just found the characters in this book more 'real.' When it comes to The Great Gatsby, I really don't want to read it and don't intend too. I am also not a great fan of Hemingway either.

Bec :)

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Wed May 16th, 2012, 12:11 am

I did read 'The Second Duchess' and agree with you that it was a really good book! I've never read 'Persuasion' as I'm not a big Regency fan but I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion :)

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Wed May 16th, 2012, 2:49 am

[quote=""tsjmom""]I did read 'The Second Duchess' and agree with you that it was a really good book! I've never read 'Persuasion' as I'm not a big Regency fan but I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion :) [/quote]

I rarely read Regency except for Austen and even then I havent finished many of her books. I did like P & P but Mansfield Park I found tedious. But I really did love Persuasion, I think it is because the main character is not ravishing or has a sparking personality...If anything she is past her prime, but Anne is such a winning character that you long for her to find happiness. The DVD of Persuasion with Amanda Root as Anne is the best version...Though I do fast forward the start of it. I hope you enjoy it.

Bec :)

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Tue August 28th, 2012, 11:05 pm

I've gotten behind in posting my reads and have forgotten some of them LOL! Oh well, as DH says a half a pie is better than no pie :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed August 29th, 2012, 8:49 am

I was bored by Mansfield Park as well, although apparently it was the author's personal favourite.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed August 29th, 2012, 9:04 am

I loved Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons! Love the title, too - what a picture it paints! LOL.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2012”