Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Brenna's 2012 Reading List

Keep track of what you read in 2012. One thread per member, please.
Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue July 17th, 2012, 12:17 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I missed your post about Poison. I was fairly underwhelmed with it as well. The narration drove me nuts, she was terribly chatty. I did giggle when she diagnosed and treated influenza though :D [/quote]

Huge disappointment to me because I have yet to read a Borgia book I actually enjoy. I won't be reading any of her others.

[quote=""rebecca""]#4 Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall 608pgs 2.5
I know everyone went crazy over this book and I suppose if I really thought about it, I could see why. For me, though, the writing style was more confusing than interesting.The whole, he said or he thought (who is he???). I especially had a hard time with Mantel's dipiction of Thomas More and her very sympathetic look at Wosley. Not that I think Wosley is the monster everyone makes him out to be, but I certainly couldn't buy into Mantel's description of More. I thought there was a lot of superfluous information and discussions that didn't really add to the story. I may or may not read Mante's continuation of the story. Depends.

I felt the same way. It could be that I am too simplistic but Wolf Hall simply does not flow well. When it comes to books I want to go on a journey and actually enjoy it. What I don't want is to stop and wonder in what direction am I going and then finally realise I'm totally lost :confused: :rolleyes: . That is what Wolf Hall was to me. But on the other hand I did enjoy 'Bring up the Bodies' and yes, the added 'he, Cromwell' makes a lot of difference. If Mantel keeps to that style then I will read the final book in her trilogy.

It's up to you Brenna, but I think you will enjoy BUTB more than WH.

Bec :) [/quote]

I've added BUTB to my TBR list so when it finally comes out in paperback I may give it a whirl. As I have another year before that happens, I have plenty of time to see what others think and decide whether to risk the purchase or just get it from the library. Thanks Bec!
Brenna

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2012”