Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Kveto's logs

Keep track of what you read in 2012. One thread per member, please.
Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Tue September 11th, 2012, 6:13 pm

"the Saracen: land of the Infidel" by Robert Shea

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Tue September 18th, 2012, 6:22 pm

"the Saracen: holy war"
by Robert Shea

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Mon October 8th, 2012, 11:55 am

"Czechoslovak fairy tales" by various

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Fri October 26th, 2012, 5:19 pm

"the Thirsty Sword: a story of the Norse invasion of Scotland (1262-1263) by Robert Leighton

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Tue November 20th, 2012, 7:10 pm

"Armaggedon 2419" by Phillip Nowlan

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sat December 1st, 2012, 6:15 pm

"airlords of han" by philip nowlan

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat December 1st, 2012, 9:50 pm

Wasn't Philip Nowlan the "yellow peril" guy? I haven't actually read any of his work - is it any good, or a bit dated?

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sun December 2nd, 2012, 10:22 am

Hey Annis, yeah he's one of them along with Sax Rohmer among others. I read these for a couple of reasons, I'm a fan of old Buck Rogers newspaper serials and this was what inspired them and also as a cultural time capsule of the times.

These two stories do play up the "yellow peril" attitude of the 1920's, especially. I was interested because they are very early "future apocalypse" examples, rare in those times of hope for the future. His premise is that the US and Europe wear each other out fighting wars, so the Chinese and Mongols are able to conqueor the world with new technology. Interestingly, the Asians for him represent a very privledged, rich on top, right wing society. the rebel americans are only able to defeat them by bonding together in a selfless almost communal society. In fact, the American "gangs" work in almost the same way as a kibutz.

Anyway, ive always like to see what people in the past imagined the future to be like. they are free kindle reads. if you can overlook the "good guys as white americans fighting the bad yellow people angle", they make for a decent quick read. Can't really recommend them unless you have a kind of interest in the subject matter. Nowlan really plays up the "science" angle to the sci-fi, so you can see why that made buck rogers popular. Not sure how interesting they are within the topics of this board, tho. I mostly needed a HF break.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Fri December 21st, 2012, 8:02 pm

"buck rogers in 25th century complete newspaper dailies vol 1" by phil nowlan

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2012”