Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sharz' 2012 Reading Log

Keep track of what you read in 2012. One thread per member, please.
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri October 5th, 2012, 3:52 am

[quote=""Sharz""]October: YTD:

Checkmate by Dorothy Dunnett[/quote]
What! no rating?
I like your rating system. It appears that we have similar tastes. Which makes it easy to guess if I will enjoy a book or not.

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Sun October 14th, 2012, 9:47 pm

Typically, I list a book when I start reading it and rate it when I'm done. Sometimes I have several books going at the same time, and I don't want to miss one. I'm not quite finished with Checkmate, but there's no question it'll be a 5/5 unless I totally hate the series wrap-up. Unlikely. :)

I've noticed, too, that we have a good bit of overlap in tastes, so I keep an eye out for your comments on what you're reading. If you haven't read Dunnett, definitely give her a try. I love, love, love this series. I am going to begin re-reading it next month with the companion translator and reference book ... but after a few easier and fluffy reads first.
Last edited by Sharz on Sun October 14th, 2012, 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon October 15th, 2012, 2:34 am

[quote=""Sharz""]Typically, I list a book when I start reading it and rate it when I'm done. Sometimes I have several books going at the same time, and I don't want to miss one. I'm not quite finished with Checkmate, but there's no question it'll be a 5/5 unless I totally hate the series wrap-up. Unlikely. :)

I've noticed, too, that we have a good bit of overlap in tastes, so I keep an eye out for your comments on what you're reading. If you haven't read Dunnett, definitely give her a try. I love, love, love this series. I am going to begin re-reading it next month with the companion translator and reference book ... but after a few easier and fluffy reads first.[/quote]
Yes, the Lymond series is on my top 10 reads list. I couldn't get through the Niccolo one, though. DD fried too many of my logic circuits by book 2. But after a slow start, the storytelling throughout Lymond is superb, and she really has a command of the history of the era.

After you catch your breath with something slower, try Hawk Quest for another rip-roaring never-say-die adventure. Romance not so good, but the characters are more consistent.
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Mon October 15th, 2012, 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Fri November 2nd, 2012, 12:53 am

Nov: 11 YTD: 91

Sea Scoundrel by Annette Blair HR -- DNF
Surrender by Pamela Clare HR 4/5
Untamed by Pamela Clare HR 4/5
Defiant by Pamela Clare HR 4/5
The October Horse by Colleen McCullough 2/5
The Widow of Larkspur Inn by Lawana Blackwell 2.5/5
Bridgette by Linda Lael Miller 3/5
Christy by Linda Lael Miller 3/5
Skye by Linda Lael Miller 3/5
Megan by Linda Lael Miller 3/5
Out of Time by Monique Martin 3/5
Last edited by Sharz on Sat December 1st, 2012, 9:01 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri November 2nd, 2012, 12:59 am

[quote=""Sharz""]Nov: YTD:

Sea Scoundrel by Annette Blair -- DNF[/quote]

That didn't take long... ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Sun November 4th, 2012, 5:44 pm

The other Blair I just read (Undeniable Rogue) had most of the same problems, really, and if I were grading them both 1-10 on a range of things like writing quality, characters, plot, setting, storytelling, etc, Rogue is really only marginally higher. But for some reason I liked it, and couldn't tolerate Sea Scoundrel.
Last edited by Sharz on Tue November 6th, 2012, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun November 4th, 2012, 5:46 pm

[quote=""Sharz""]The other Blair I just read (Undeniable Rogue) had most of the same problems, really, and if I were grading them both 1-10 on a range of things like writing quality, characters, plot, setting, storytelling, etc, Rogue is really only marginally higher. But for some reason I liked the other, and couldn't tolerate Sea Scoundrel.[/quote]

It's a crapshoot at times with these older romances, but I'm willing to risk if more than I am with currently published HRs.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Tue December 4th, 2012, 7:27 pm

Dec: 4 YTD: 95

Caribbean by James Michener 2.5/5
The Bourne Sanction by Eric Van Lustbader 3/5
The Hobbit by JRR Tolkein 4.5/5
An Affair before Christmas by Eloisa James 3.5/5
Last edited by Sharz on Wed January 2nd, 2013, 2:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2012”