Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sara's reading log 2011

Keep track of your reading for 2011 here! One thread per member, please.
weirdfishes4
Scribbler

Post by weirdfishes4 » Wed October 26th, 2011, 2:08 am

Violets of March - Sarah Jio

Keys to the Castle - Donna Ball

The Traitor's Wife - Susan Higginbotham (my first read from this author and I loved it!)

Madame Tussaud - Michelle Moran (I really wanted to love this but I don't know... it was just ok)

Royal Harlot - Susan Holloway Scott

Swept off her Feet - Hester Browne

Forever Amber - Kathleen Winsor (finally got around to reading this! I liked it, even though I loathed every single character)

Naughty in Nice - Rhys Bowen (I love this series)

Cashelmara - Susan Howatch (I was very pleasantly surprised!)

Dragonwyck - Anya Seton

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat October 29th, 2011, 3:24 am

[quote=""weirdfishes4""]Violets of March - Sarah Jio

Keys to the Castle - Donna Ball

The Traitor's Wife - Susan Higginbotham (my first read from this author and I loved it!)

Madame Tussaud - Michelle Moran (I really wanted to love this but I don't know... it was just ok)

Royal Harlot - Susan Holloway Scott

Swept off her Feet - Hester Browne

Forever Amber - Kathleen Winsor (finally got around to reading this! I liked it, even though I loathed every single character)

Naughty in Nice - Rhys Bowen (I love this series)

Cashelmara - Susan Howatch (I was very pleasantly surprised!)

Dragonwyck - Anya Seton[/quote]

Through a Glass Darkly - Karleen Koen (LOVE this book!)

The trilogy of Koen's books arrived last week and I shall be tackling them soon. They sound good!
I have one book by Susan Howatch 'Penmarric' but for some reason it didn't grab me....I will have to look up Cashelmara and see what it's about.

Bec :) PS: Great list :D

weirdfishes4
Scribbler

Post by weirdfishes4 » Tue November 15th, 2011, 4:01 am

The Far Pavilions - M.M. Kaye (Um... WOW! Awesome, awesome book)

Emily Goes to Exeter - M.C. Beaton (very cute series... will def read more)

weirdfishes4
Scribbler

Post by weirdfishes4 » Tue November 15th, 2011, 4:05 am

[quote=""rebecca""]Through a Glass Darkly - Karleen Koen (LOVE this book!)

The trilogy of Koen's books arrived last week and I shall be tackling them soon. They sound good!
I have one book by Susan Howatch 'Penmarric' but for some reason it didn't grab me....I will have to look up Cashelmara and see what it's about.

Bec :) PS: Great list :D [/quote]

I really like the Koen trilogy. Haven't read her newest one (read mixed reviews) but I think I'd still read it at some point!
Cashelmara is a retelling of the whole Edward II and Hugh mess. Still a good read even if you know the whole story :)

weirdfishes4
Scribbler

Post by weirdfishes4 » Fri December 2nd, 2011, 5:29 am

Belinda Goes to Bath - M.C. Beaton
Penelope Goes to Portsmouth - M.C. Beaton
A Cottage by the Sea - Ciji Ware (Eh...)
A Company of Swans - Eva Ibbotson (Loved this one)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri December 2nd, 2011, 5:46 am

I really enjoyed M C Beaton's Travelling Matchmaker series- I was sorry there weren't more. Engaging characters and lots of historical information mixed unobtrusively into the action. Who knew that in the early 19th century England the use of table napkins was considered a finicky Frencified habit and diners just grabbed a hunk of tablecloth to mop up with?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri December 2nd, 2011, 10:02 am

Have you tried M C Beaton's Edwardian series annis? There are 4 of them, and the first one is called Snobbery with Violence. It's a mystery but also with a bit of historical detail too, this one is set during the period when the suffragettes were beginning to make their presence known, and has a fair bit about women's rights and the attitudes towards them etc, whilst being a light read at the same time.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

weirdfishes4
Scribbler

Post by weirdfishes4 » Sun December 4th, 2011, 11:25 pm

@Annis - Yes I was very much pleasantly surprised with the series. I breezed through the first 3 in 2 days and I had to stop and take a break for a little bit. There are only 3 more books left and I want to savor and enjoy it :)

@Madeleine - I have Snobbery With Violence already in my kindle! It's definitely next on my loooonggg reading list!

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2011”