Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hatpins and postcards

Veronica
Avid Reader

Hatpins and postcards

Post by Veronica » Sat July 23rd, 2011, 2:40 pm

I have a small collection of hatpins - not collecting at the moment but might take it up on day again. :)
Recently started to collect postcards from 1900-1940 - a cheap hobby and entertaining. :)
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat July 23rd, 2011, 3:06 pm

I love those old postcards. Where do you find them? Garage sales or online?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat July 23rd, 2011, 3:33 pm

I have three postcards from Russia in the 30s, picked up from an antique store. I've always wanted to get them translated but I keep forgetting to do it.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sat July 23rd, 2011, 3:51 pm

Once or twice I've seen an old album of postcards in an antique store -- sort of like a scrapbook where someone kept postcards. I find them absolutely fascinating -- the postcards were really works of art back then (early 1900s), the handwriting was beautiful as well, and even the addresses (when you can see them) are fascinating. I remember seeing one once that was addressed to someone in Los Angeles. The address, if I remember correctly, was just their name and "Los Angeles, Calif." Imagine that!!

They're usually quite expensive, but maybe if I find one again someday I'll splurge on it.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sat July 23rd, 2011, 3:53 pm

[quote=""Ash""]I've always wanted to get them translated but I keep forgetting to do it.[/quote] Have you tried one of the free online translators? They're don't always get it just right, but they might at least give you an idea of what they say.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat July 23rd, 2011, 9:06 pm

Well, its written in Slavic, and I don't have a keyboard that will work. I just need to go to the language dept of the university. I just always seem to be busy when I think about doing it!

The writer in me always comes out when I look at those photos, esp ones with a few people in them, with expressions. Who were they, where were they, why were they getting their picture taken, what was their story?

I had a friend who had no siblings and whose parents didn't have old pics. So for her first apartment, she went and bought a bunch of those, framed them and put them on her walls. Called them her virtual family :)

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Fri July 29th, 2011, 5:54 am

[quote=""Misfit""]I love those old postcards. Where do you find them? Garage sales or online?[/quote]

Oh I wish I had the opportunity for garage sales where I live! So Ebay is my place for finding them. There are other sites on the internet that sell postcards but they are expensive. After all - I only collect for the joy of it. :)
And I only collect ones that has writing on the back - it's like taking a look back in someones life 100 years ago.
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Return to “Things We Collect”