Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bricks!

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:01 am

I know this is a rather inactive thread, but I love bricks as a collectible. In my research for the novel I'm querying, since there were so few primary sources, I researched everything from breeds of horses to pattern welding steel ... to bricks. I have a special place in my heart for bricks; my father built many things over the years, especially during my childhood.

Talking about cities with brick streets - it's not precisely brick, but in Richmond, VA, when they have to work underneath the cobblestone streets they pull up the stones and catalogue the layout then put it all back by its original patterns. Actually a neat thing - I love archeaology too.

Mmm. Bricks.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Leena
Scribbler

Post by Leena » Tue May 10th, 2011, 12:43 am

Bricks are solid chunks of history. They can be beautiful, too, and I completely understand collecting them. I once had one from the theater where Gone With the Wind premiered. Sadly, it was lost, while I was away at college, and I've regretted that so much over the years. The Loew's Grand was originally an opera house, in the late 19th century. It was destroyed by a fire in the 1970s, which many still believe was arson. I picked the brick up out of the street, as the theater was being demolished. Later, I discovered that a number of those bricks were sold, and later were sold as souvenirs with little plaques mounted on them. The historic old building could have been saved and seeing those souvenir bricks left a really bad taste in my mouth.

We also had some bricks streets. I used to love them; they were so rustic and exotic.
"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me. " (Elwood P. Dowd in Harvey)

Return to “Things We Collect”