Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Barbie dolls

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu December 30th, 2010, 6:24 am

I had 3 or 4 females and only one Ken. I never had purchased clothes, but fortunately my mom is a fantastic seamstress so I always had the best-dressed dolls, anyway! :) I've still got all the clothes Mom made, plus a dress or two my grandma crocheted, and I've got the patterns Mom used, too. Of course, as a kid I didn't appreciate how well-dressed my dolls were, because all I wanted were store-bought clothes (naturally!) which were out of the question (too expensive).

I did have one doll case, which I still have. And one Christmas I got a camping set -- a tent/trailer and sleeping bag, etc. So I must have had a car too, although I don't remember......

Can't wait to see BB's pictures -- I'll have to wait and view them at work in the morning. I don't think I can post pictures, but I will give it a try -- if it works I will post a few of the collectible dolls I have in my curios.

Along the lines of Barbie dolls -- did anyone else here play with Dawn dolls? They were kind of a spin-off of Barbie dolls made by another company. A much smaller doll and only made for about 3 years (the company went bankrupt). I still have all of mine!!

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu December 30th, 2010, 10:11 am

Every now and then one of the Barbie catalogs shows up in my mailbox. The ones for the serious collectors are pretty spectacular -- two recent ones that come to mind are the Athena (armor and all), and the Chinese Empress one. I also think that they have rereleased some of the vintage models, but I am not absolutely certain.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu December 30th, 2010, 1:32 pm

Michy said:
Along the lines of Barbie dolls -- did anyone else here play with Dawn dolls? They were kind of a spin-off of Barbie dolls made by another company. A much smaller doll and only made for about 3 years (the company went bankrupt). I still have all of mine!!
I did! Mine are long gone, though. They came out just before I got too old to play with dolls, so I got the first few.

Telynor said:
Every now and then one of the Barbie catalogs shows up in my mailbox. The ones for the serious collectors are pretty spectacular -- two recent ones that come to mind are the Athena (armor and all), and the Chinese Empress one. I also think that they have rereleased some of the vintage models, but I am not absolutely certain.
They have! I bought a couple of the re-releases, but I prefer to dream of being able to purchase some of the originals.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu December 30th, 2010, 4:38 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]

I did! Mine are long gone, though. They came out just before I got too old to play with dolls, so I got the first few.[/quote] I actually had 10 of them! 9 girls and 1 guy! :eek: I think because they were cheaper than Barbies is why I got more of them for Christmases and birthdays. And because they were small I took them everywhere (literally). So as a result, I got much more attached to them than to my Barbies. Again, store-bought clothes were out of the question, and making clothes for them was impossible because they were so small (although I did manage to knit a dress or two for them when I was a kid). So they had a small wardrobe, limited to the little dresses they came in -- the girls all had to share and switch clothes. :)

Mom kept them and gave them back to me a few years ago. Once I cleaned them up and straightened their hair, I was amazed at what good shape they are in, considering how heavily they were played with. I now have them on display in my guest bedroom, dressed in clothes I made for them out of scraps (I took my inspiration from the collectible Barbies and dressed them as the four seasons, a Victorian lady, a Grecian lady, etc. etc.) There is a woman in Montana who is a very serious collector and I was able to order little dinky doll stands from her.

but I prefer to dream of being able to purchase some of the originals.
Isn't that the truth..... those ladies can go for hundreds of dollars apiece, which is why I don't collect them.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu December 30th, 2010, 4:45 pm

Thanks for sharing your pictures -- your dolls look like they're in very good condition. They're from the same era as the very first Barbies I had that were lost in the fire -- from the "mod" era, very collectible. The ones I have now are from the early '70s -- tanned skin, sunglasses, not very highly prized by collectors. But they have sentimental value for me.

I do wish I still had the ones I lost in the fire -- for some reason, those are the ones that have the most nostalgia for me. Even looking at pictures of them brings such a strong sense of deja vu.........

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu December 30th, 2010, 4:54 pm

I found some images on Google (go Google!) of some of the dolls I have in my collection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Michy on Thu December 30th, 2010, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu December 30th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Here are a few more, including the Scarlett O'Hara dolls that started it all (there is a fourth one that isn't shown in the picture).

The doll on the left (part of a series of 3 Faberge dolls -- note the egg purse) and the Victorian doll in the middle are porcelain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu December 30th, 2010, 5:27 pm

Beautiful! I have the Romeo and Juliet set. One thing I would love to do if I hit the lottery would be to buy a Little Theatre and set my de-boxed Romeo and Juliet dolls on its stage.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu December 30th, 2010, 6:12 pm

I have the King Arthur and Guinevere set, also. Those were the only two pairs I bought in that series, I didn't care for the ones they came out with after that.

So, BB, you've mentioned Coca-Cola a time or two. Do you by any chance collect Coca-Cola memorabilia? (may need to start a new thread for this) :D

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Thu December 30th, 2010, 10:40 pm

These are gorgeous Michy! A few years ago when Lord of the Rings films were out, I saw Arwen & Aragorn Barbies, I was very tempted to get them, but I don't need to start another collection.

I really liked the Scarlet O'Hara dolls, which outfit is the missing one? I recognise the other 3, but can't think of another iconic dress it could be. Of course, as soon as it's mentioned, I'll feel like an eejit...
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Return to “Things We Collect”