Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chess Sets

ejays17
Reader

Chess Sets

Post by ejays17 » Sun December 26th, 2010, 11:28 pm

[quote=""Gabriele Campbell""]Any chance you could put up a photo or two of that?[/quote]

Yep shall do, once I work out how to do it... :D (and unwrap the rest of the pieces from their bubble-wrap - small children + small but heavy items = crying & general unhappiness :) )

There are 2 more sets I want to get, once I save up the pennies again - an Alice in Wonderland based on the Tennielle (sp?) illustrations, and a replica Ilse of Lewis (supposed to be the original chess set http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_chessmen ). But like I said, expensive hobby...
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon December 27th, 2010, 3:07 pm

I remember oogling the many chess sets we saw in Europe. David bought a lovely one - Norman vs English. I agree - expensive hobby; we had to stop at one!

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Mon December 27th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Oh, I would love a Romans vs Germans one. :)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon December 27th, 2010, 5:53 pm

Posted by Gabriele
Oh, I would love a Romans vs Germans one.
They are about :)

This set was featured in the newsletter of fine art dealer Trevor Philip & Son's Ltd, London.
Roman soldiers against Germanic tribesmen made from cast bronze with one side gilded and the other blackened.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon December 27th, 2010, 9:36 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Gabriele

This set was featured in the newsletter of fine art dealer Trevor Philip & Son's Ltd, London.
Roman soldiers against Germanic tribesmen made from cast bronze with one side gilded and the other blackened.[/quote]

The Maryhill Museum in the southern portions of Washington State has quite a collection of chess sets from around the world. Not many images on their website unfortunately. There is an audio tour though. http://maryhillmuseum.org/exhibits.html#chess

I love visiting there, although it really is in Timbuktu.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon December 27th, 2010, 10:08 pm

[quote=""ejays17""]Yep shall do, once I work out how to do it... :D (and unwrap the rest of the pieces from their bubble-wrap - small children + small but heavy items = crying & general unhappiness :) )

There are 2 more sets I want to get, once I save up the pennies again - an Alice in Wonderland based on the Tennielle (sp?) illustrations, and a replica Ilse of Lewis (supposed to be the original chess set http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_chessmen ). But like I said, expensive hobby...[/quote] What a very cool thing to collect. How do you have them displayed?

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Mon December 27th, 2010, 10:48 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Gabriele

Roman soldiers against Germanic tribesmen made from cast bronze with one side gilded and the other blackened.[/quote]

Oh, that's pretty. Probably a helluva expensive, too. ;)

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Tue December 28th, 2010, 12:12 am

[quote=""Michy""]What a very cool thing to collect. How do you have them displayed?[/quote]

I only have one out at a time - at the moment I've got a Dr Who one (my first set, which started me on the slippery-slope to collecting :D ) which came with it's own board that has places to store the pieces when they're not out.
So I'm going to replace the Dr Who with the new one for the nex t few months. It's in the library, we have a waist-high table that has the board on it with the pieces set out for a game. Sometimes I move them out of the starting "ranks" and it looks like a game is being played.
I like pieces that wouldn't look out-of-place as ornaments on a mantle-piece ot something, sometimes I have some of the pieces dotted around the loungeroom as things of interest.

ooh, I like that Roman / Germanic one, I'll have to keep my eye out for that! I've also seen a Roman / Egyptian one, but that one had painted pieces, and I don't like them as much.

Okay, found the site of the person I got the set from, and they had a couple of photos of my set, so hopefully I've done this right to insert the photos (first time attempting this :) )
Image - Dark Side
Image - Light side
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue December 28th, 2010, 12:14 am

I don't play chess and probably never will, but these old sets are so seriously cool to look at.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue December 28th, 2010, 1:26 am

I remember when I was a kid in the 80s they would always have a commercial for the "civil war chess set

This thread reminded me of that. :D
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Things We Collect”