Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Engish Civil War

User avatar
Michy
Bibliophile
Location: California

Postby Michy » Mon October 25th, 2010, 5:48 am

I do realize it is an ancient name of Greek extraction, it just doesn't "sound" like a name that would have been in use in 17th century England. Even after reading your explanations I would probably still stumble on it -- obviously Riley wrote her books long before Chloe began its current run of popularity, but I guess its trendiness in recent years will make it sound forever modern to me. :)

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Postby SGM » Mon October 25th, 2010, 7:30 pm

I guess I would have said the same if someone used the name "Wendy" -- yes, yes J M Barrie etc etc

I have acquired a new triology about the English Civil War by a writer called Celia Boyd. I think the series is called something like "A Reason from the Stars. The two volumes I have in front of me are called "First Day Rattle" and"A Daring Resolution". I can't put my hand on the third one.

It's published by Graficas Books but I can't figure out if it is self-published or not. The author appears to be connected with Hay-on-Wye. I will let you know what I think of it when I get to it.

However, having just finished the Lymond Chronicles and (I hope) sensibly decidng to follow a couple of other authors before starting on the House of Niccolo, I have to do a re-read of the Quincunx first.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Tue October 26th, 2010, 3:02 am

Posted by Michy
I do realize it is an ancient name of Greek extraction, it just doesn't "sound" like a name that would have been in use in 17th century England. Even after reading your explanations I would probably still stumble on it -- obviously Riley wrote her books long before Chloe began its current run of popularity, but I guess its trendiness in recent years will make it sound forever modern to me.


As suggested, the use of the name Chloe in England is associated with the Classical Revival, and picked up popularity after the ancient Greek narrative Daphnis and Chloe was translated in 1587.

I was curious about why it would become a popular Puritan girl's name, though, and discovered that this comes from the fleeting mention of a woman named Chloe in the New Testament (1 Corinthians 1:11), leading to the name's adoption in the 17th century among the Puritans.

User avatar
Michy
Bibliophile
Location: California

Postby Michy » Tue October 26th, 2010, 3:22 pm

"annis" wrote:I was curious about why it would become a popular Puritan girl's name, though, and discovered that this comes from the fleeting mention of a woman named Chloe in the New Testament (1 Corinthians 1:11), leading to the name's adoption in the 17th century among the Puritans.


Very interesting -- I've read the Bible several times but never noticed that.

"SGM" wrote:I guess I would have said the same if someone used the name "Wendy" -- yes, yes J M Barrie etc etc

Yes, that's another example. Funny how some names just sound "modern" (at least they do to me), regardless of how old they may actually be. Amber is another example -- I know Forever Amber was written in the 1940s or thereabouts, and is set in the 17th century, but to me the name "Amber" is forever an '80s name! (that's 1980s)

User avatar
Miss Moppet
Bibliophile
Location: North London
Contact:

Postby Miss Moppet » Tue October 26th, 2010, 9:42 pm

"Michy" wrote:Funny how some names just sound "modern" (at least they do to me), regardless of how old they may actually be. Amber is another example -- I know Forever Amber was written in the 1940s or thereabouts, and is set in the 17th century, but to me the name "Amber" is forever an '80s name! (that's 1980s)


There was a 16th century Italian woman in a census called 'Ambra' so not necessarily anachronistic but I agree with you, it sounds very modern. I don't know of any other uses before the late 19th century when gemstone names came into fashion.

User avatar
Michy
Bibliophile
Location: California

Postby Michy » Wed October 27th, 2010, 4:30 pm

"Misfit" wrote:I really liked Annette Motley's Quickberry Tree and Michy you should be able to get that via ILL. My county has a copy.


Am picking it up from the library shortly. :)

User avatar
Misfit
Bibliomaniac
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Misfit » Wed October 27th, 2010, 4:36 pm

"Michy" wrote:Am picking it up from the library shortly. :)


**bites nails**
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

User avatar
Misfit
Bibliomaniac
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Misfit » Thu December 23rd, 2010, 6:27 pm

I just received a book I'd had kicking around on my WL (and forgot why it was there) and was surprised to see the jacket and it's about England's Cromwell. I put the blurb up at goodreads.

Storm With by David Hillier. Anyone familiar with this one?
At home with a good book and the cat...

...is the only place I want to be

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Postby SGM » Thu December 23rd, 2010, 7:10 pm

"Misfit" wrote:I just received a book I'd had kicking around on my WL (and forgot why it was there) and was surprised to see the jacket and it's about England's Cromwell. I put the blurb up at goodreads.

Storm With by David Hillier. Anyone familiar with this one?


I have had it hanging around for a while and read half of it. I was not particularly inspired but might reassess later. I will get round to finishing it at some point when I am less engrossed in the non fiction I am reading about the same period. I am supposed ]to be moving forward to the beginning of the 18th century but instead find myself travelling backward towards to Henry VII. No self-discipline.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

User avatar
Misfit
Bibliomaniac
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Misfit » Thu December 23rd, 2010, 7:17 pm

"SGM" wrote:I have had it hanging around for a while and read half of it. I was not particularly inspired but might reassess later. I will get round to finishing it at some point when I am less engrossed in the non fiction I am reading about the same period. I am supposed ]to be moving forward to the beginning of the 18th century but instead find myself travelling backward towards to Henry VII. No self-discipline.


Thanks for that. I will probably bump this one up just to give it a look-see.
At home with a good book and the cat...

...is the only place I want to be


Return to “English Civil War/Restoration”