Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Engish Civil War

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed October 20th, 2010, 4:53 pm

[quote=""SGM""]

But reading them can be frustrating because there is quite obviously a missing final novel (which was never published) with a lot of characters with stories that are quite unfinished.[/quote]

Ugh! Torture! Why was the last book never published, do you know? Whatever happened with the author?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed October 20th, 2010, 5:37 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Ugh! Torture! Why was the last book never published, do you know? Whatever happened with the author?[/quote]

We have a thread on her under authors. There was some speculation that there might have been an accusation of plagiarism and thus copies were destroyed. If (and that's a big if) that is the case I'd sure like to know the books that started the accusation as I'd like to read those. I liked all three, but Black Madonna was definitely the best of the lot.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed October 20th, 2010, 6:40 pm

Posted by SGM
Headline (the publishers) do not respond to enquiries about these books
I've tried contacting Headline in the past and they have been singularly unresponsive. Surely a brief email to indicate that they've received your communication wouldn't hurt, even if they can't be bothered dealing with your query ?

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed October 20th, 2010, 6:47 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by SGM

I've tried contacting Headline in the past and they have been singularly unresponsive. Surely a brief email to indicate that they've received your communication wouldn't hurt, even if they can't be bothered dealing with your query ?[/quote]

Perhaps we should encourage members of this forum who are very keen to read her books -- particularly the last unpublished one to contact them. If they get enough enquiries they might respond.

[email protected]
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed October 20th, 2010, 6:50 pm

[quote=""SGM""]Perhaps we should encourage members of this forum who are very keen to read her books -- particularly the last unpublished one to contact them. If they get enough enquiries they might respond.

[email protected][/quote]

I'm in on that party.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed October 20th, 2010, 7:57 pm

Especially given that there's a resurgence of interest in the 17th century as an HF subject currently. I'd like to see Pamela Belle's novels reissued too.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed October 20th, 2010, 8:17 pm

[quote=""annis""]Especially given that there's a resurgence of interest in the 17th century as an HF subject currently. I'd like to see Pamela Belle's novels reissued too.[/quote]

I quite agree about the renewed interest in the 17th century and particularly the civil war. Pamela Belle's novels are easy to obtain here 2nd hand and very cheap, although I am not a particular fan of them. I had thought I had heard from someone here that they were going to be re-issued and that she is planning a new novel set during the '45 but I might have got that wrong.

Her website says "The novel she wrote about the Jacobite Rebellion is still awaiting a publisher. "

which might tell us something.
Last edited by SGM on Wed October 20th, 2010, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed October 20th, 2010, 8:21 pm

I have Wintercombe by Pamela Belle on my TBR. I was able to obtain a copy of a hardback a few months ago for very cheap -- only about $2 for the book. I paid more than that for the shipping! So at that price, I felt it was worth taking a chance on a new-to-me author.

As for Stella Riley, I'd like to try her given all the positive remarks, but I'm afraid her books are going to have to either get cheaper or easier to obtain before I give her a try. :(

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed October 20th, 2010, 8:31 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I have Wintercombe by Pamela Belle on my TBR. I was able to obtain a copy of a hardback a few months ago for very cheap -- only about $2 for the book. I paid more than that for the shipping! So at that price, I felt it was worth taking a chance on a new-to-me author.

As for Stella Riley, I'd like to try her given all the positive remarks, but I'm afraid her books are going to have to either get cheaper or easier to obtain before I give her a try. :( [/quote]

I loved Wintercombe, especially getting the history on the happenings in the countryside. I agree it is a fascinating period and would like to see more, and not the big dry tomes like Davis' Rebels and Traitors.

I really liked Annette Motley's Quickberry Tree and Michy you should be able to get that via ILL. My county has a copy.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed October 20th, 2010, 8:42 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I loved Wintercombe, especially getting the history on the happenings in the countryside. I agree it is a fascinating period and would like to see more, and not the big dry tomes like Davis' Rebels and Traitors.

I really liked Annette Motley's Quickberry Tree and Michy you should be able to get that via ILL. My county has a copy.[/quote]

My only problem with the Motley one was that Will reminded me vaguely of Rhett Butler (not that I have a problem with Rhett in his own context) and I could see Will sitting, smoking a cigar and swilling whisky (as Rhett did in jail) which didn't quite fit for me with the English setting. I don't know why he did that to me - he just did and for some reason I am not keen on novels which sprawl over too much time. I know that the Black Madonna sprawled from just before the Short Parliament to the destruction of Basing House but somehow I felt that it hung together well despite that.

However, I don't have that problem with the timeframe of the Lymond chronicles because each novel has a reasonably tight timeframe (or have so far) and I have no problem with Philippa being ten in the first one and twenty or twenty one (or thereabouts) in the last one -- which I have yet to get to -- almost there but not quite.
Last edited by SGM on Wed October 20th, 2010, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “English Civil War/Restoration”