Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ariadne's reads for 2010

What have you read in 2010? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Fri April 30th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Late April:

Kathleen Grissom, The Kitchen House
Sarah Dunant, Sacred Hearts (re-read)
Diana Norman, King of the Last Days (maybe someone besides me has read this?)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri April 30th, 2010, 8:07 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]Late April:

Kathleen Grissom, The Kitchen House
Sarah Dunant, Sacred Hearts (re-read)
Diana Norman, King of the Last Days (maybe someone besides me has read this?)[/quote]

I read King of the Last days so long ago that I don't remember much about it, but I have read it! :confused: :rolleyes: :)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun May 9th, 2010, 3:41 am

Early May:

Lynn Cullen, The Creation of Eve
Philippa Gregory, The Red Queen

EC, not surprised you've read King of the Last Days! I doubt it's a good candidate for reissue, it's probably too quiet of a book for today's readers, but it was very good.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun May 9th, 2010, 4:46 am

I read King of the Last Days back in the '80s, when I first discovered Diana Norman and devoured all her books. I now regret not buying them at the time! I love her quirky characters and wry sense of humour. I have to confess that I've bailed on her Ariana Franklin series, though- I just find them too unbelievable and lacking in the subtlety of her earlier work. I'm pleased she's found success with them, but they're not for me. It's inoticable that she's revisiting some of the themes of earlier books- the Glastonbury discoveries of KOTLD reappear in Relics of the Dead/Grave Goods.
Last edited by annis on Sun May 9th, 2010, 4:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun May 9th, 2010, 9:43 am

[quote=""annis""]I read King of the Last Days back in the '80s, when I first discovered Diana Norman and devoured all her books. I now regret not buying them at the time! I love her quirky characters and wry sense of humour. I have to confess that I've bailed on her Ariana Franklin series, though- I just find them too unbelievable and lacking in the subtlety of her earlier work. I'm pleased she's found success with them, but they're not for me. It's inoticable that she's revisiting some of the themes of earlier books- the Glastonbury discoveries of KOTLD reappear in Relics of the Dead/Grave Goods.[/quote]

They are not for me either - they play a bit too fast and loose with the history. I have heard that Diana Norman is unwell, but I don't know any more than that at the moment. I do hope she makes a full recovery. And like you I wish I'd bought those books at the time, but I was a skint library borrower in those days.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun May 23rd, 2010, 6:51 pm

I don't know how I missed these last messages, but I hope that Diana Norman recovers quickly. The only one of her recent series that I've read is the first (Mistress of the Art of Death) which I enjoyed.

More May reads:

Cecelia Holland, The Secret Eleanor
Sarita Mandanna, Tiger Hills
Marina Fiorato, The Madonna of the Almonds (in progress)

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2010”