Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

princess's Reading Log 2010

What have you read in 2010? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
princess
Reader

Post by princess » Mon September 27th, 2010, 12:50 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]I'm in the middle of this one. I agree about the writing.[/quote]

One of those books I didn't want to end :(
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon September 27th, 2010, 3:02 pm

Did you know she's just about to publish a sort of prequel? (It has two different titles but appears to be the same book.)

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Mon September 27th, 2010, 3:47 pm

Really? I'll have to keep my eye out for them :) Do you know what the two titles are?
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon September 27th, 2010, 3:53 pm

[quote=""princess""]Really? I'll have to keep my eye out for them :) Do you know what the two titles are?[/quote]

The Traitor's Wife and The Wolves of Andover

see here:
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/k/kathleen-kent/

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Mon September 27th, 2010, 4:02 pm

That's great, thank you!!! :)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon September 27th, 2010, 9:22 pm

Unfortunately there is only one book with two titles- US title Wolves of Andover, UK title The Traitor's Wife. Why they have to do this, I don' know -- it causes all sorts of confusion. I personally much prefer the Wolves of Andover title as the American Andover is named for the British town of the same name, thereby making a connecting point. The UK Andover was the scene of action during the English Civil War during the siege of nearby Basing House, detailed in Maria McCann's As Meat Loves Salt.

(Have notified Dave at Fantastic Fiction, so hopefully he will get round to changing that particular entry)
Last edited by annis on Mon September 27th, 2010, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Fri October 1st, 2010, 9:46 pm

"The Lost Queen" by Norah Lofts - definitely going to purchase more of her books :)

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 5:45 pm

"The Secret Crown" by Chris Kuzneski - a good, fast-paced read.

"The Angel's Game" by Carlos Ruis Zafon - "The Shadow of the Wind" is a firm-favourite of mine and I was not disappointed by "The Angel's Game". I absolutely love how atmospheric and haunting a book it is.

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Wed December 29th, 2010, 5:20 pm

Took a wee break from reading for a month or so there, but since then I've read the following: -

"The Long Song" by Andrea Levy
"Alex Cross's Trial" by James Patterson
"The Winter Ghosts" by Kate Mosse

All of which I loved!!! :)

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2010”