Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Madeleine's 2010 Reads

What have you read in 2010? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun November 28th, 2010, 12:35 pm

November

Mariana by Susanna Kearsley - BOTM read; I enjoyed this - dual time-frame and, true to form, I preferred the historical side rather than the present day story, and had fun working out which "modern" character was an "old" character, and got one of them completely wrong. 7/10

Club Dead and Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris - trying to get ahead of the TV series; easy to read and breezily written (the writing style reminds me a bit of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels), fast paced and witty, and it's interesting comparing the casting of the TV show to the characters in the books. 8/10

"Dead until Dark" by Charlaine Harris - 1st in the True Blood/Southern vampire series. Having recently re-watched Series 1, it was interesting to compare the TV adaptation to the book - generally speaking, the TV version was pretty faithful, although the book has fewer storylines, which I think I prefer. Again, fast paced and quite witty, and a good introduction to the series, whether in book or screen form. 8/10
Last edited by Madeleine on Wed December 1st, 2010, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue December 14th, 2010, 5:20 pm

December

Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris - the second in the True Blood series, again, thoroughly enjoyable, at times LOL (those vamps can be so "deadpan") and interesting to see how the TV series compared - overall, I think I prefer the books, story-wise. 8/10

The Outlander by Gil Adamson - a "winter" read for another book group; main disappointment: despite the snowy cover, it wasn't wintry at all! Split into 3 sections, I found the first part a bit boring and just when it seemed it was about to start to improve, nothing happened! However parts two and three were better, and overall I quite enjoyed it eventually, but generally I found it fairly so/so. 6/10

"Fear in the Cotswolds" by Rebecca Tope - modern crime set during a very snowy January in the Cotswolds - Thea is house-sitting and one day finds a man lying dead at the bottom of her field, however when the police arrive, there's no sign of him. Then another body, this time of a woman, is also discovered, as is the man, and it turns out the two people were neighbours. Thea sets about trying to find the link between the two, plus of course, what did actually happen to them. An easy read, a bit repetitive but not too taxing for the holiday season, although I did find Thea somewhat irritating (and tactless) but quite enjoyed the book all the same. 7/10
Last edited by Madeleine on Tue December 28th, 2010, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2010”