Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Shar's Reading Log 2010

What have you read in 2010? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue June 8th, 2010, 6:20 pm

I know what you mean. I read "Not My Will" in my early teens and, of course, it made a pretty strong impression; how could it not, given the plot. A few years ago I decided to read it again and bought a copy. As an adult I found it far less remarkable than I had as a teen, mainly because her writing style is less mature and polished than I guess I've become accustomed to. But the plot is still so enduring, as you say. For that reason, I've kept the book and will doubtless read it again someday.

I checked on Amazon and it appears that many of her books are easily available, although not all new. Not sure if you're trying for only new copies? You might try Alibris, also; I've often had good luck finding books there that are a little more obscure.

Christmas Carol Kaufman was another of my favorite Christian authors when I was a young teen -- I'm not sure who published her stuff. Moody, maybe? Anyway, I need to poke around and see if I can find one of her books. It would be interesting to re-read one and see if it's still any good after 30 years!

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Wed June 9th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Christmas Carol Kaufman – yes! The other of my favorite authors as a teen. I have a few of hers and I’ve read more. As a youngster, any time we attended another church, I made a bee-line to their library, and I could usually find a new book I hadn’t read yet, and read it before we left. I have all of hers on WL, too.

I know what you mean about less polished writing. As I started The Road Winds On, I wondered how I’d find it. Very simple, straightforward style. Not a lot character development, but a very tight, well-paced plot. Excellent, really, for 200 pages. And its theme was every bit as powerful at age 41 as at 15. I was so glad NOT to be disappointed. Road Winds on was written much later than Not My Will, however. IIRC, NMW was her first book. It's possible that her writing matured in her later books.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed June 9th, 2010, 2:20 pm

Oh, yes, church libraries -- that is exactly where I discovered Christmas Carol Kaufman! I was 12 when we moved to California and started attending a particular church. They had a dinky "library" in the basement -- and I do mean DINKY! But that is where I discovered Christmas Carol Kaufman (and also where I first found Not My Will). They had every single one of her books -- she wrote about 6, I believe. I read all of them. That is the only place I've ever seen her books -- never seen them in any other library or bookstore. But I checked on Amazon yesterday and they do have all of them for sale. I think I will buy one to read and see if it's still any good 30 years later!
Last edited by Michy on Wed June 9th, 2010, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Wed June 9th, 2010, 4:10 pm

Oh, I know all about dinky church libraries. :) I was born Mennonite in northern Minnesota, and I imagine most rural churches up there are pretty small, particularly any outside the mainstream denominations, but Mennonite churches are/were TINY--we’re talking 25-50 members, tops. But we had quarterly regional meetings that rotated among the churches, so I made the rounds at their libraries. Half a bookself, maybe a full bookshelf, and most of it reference material. But that’s where I read my first adult books, at ages 8 and 9. The ones I most remember are Elizabeth Elliot’s “Through Gates of Splendour” (the very first adult book I ever read), Corrie ten Boom’s “The Hiding Place”, Brother Andrew’s “God’s Smuggler”, “Martyr of the Catacombs” (author unknown) and Foxe’s Book of Martyrs. (Trust me, no 9-year-old should be allowed to read Foxe’s Book of Martyrs, but no one noticed or thought about it at the time!)

I’m relatively certain that church libraries is where I first found Kaufman and Arnold, as well, but I purchased everything of theirs I could find in tiny independent Christian bookstores when I was 15, 16. Babysitting money. Corn detasseling.

My, the memories. :)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat June 12th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Posted by Sharz
--Foxe’s Book of Martyrs. (Trust me, no 9-year-old should be allowed to read Foxe’s Book of Martyrs, but no one noticed or thought about it at the time!)
It's debatable whether anyone should read Foxe's Book of Martyrs :) It's definitely material for some good nightmares!

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Mon June 14th, 2010, 2:45 pm

No kidding!

It is history that must not be forgotten, much like the Nazi holocaust, but it makes for horrible reading. The more vivid one's imagination, the more awful it is.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon June 14th, 2010, 3:10 pm

[quote=""Sharz""]No kidding!

It is history that must not be forgotten, much like the Nazi holocaust, but it makes for horrible reading. The more vivid one's imagination, the more awful it is.[/quote]

I own some very old copies of "Martyrs" from 1854, 1871, and 1873 and have no plans whatsoever to read them. I only own them because they have illustrations of Lady Jane Grey.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon June 14th, 2010, 5:12 pm

I confess I have not read Foxe's book of Martyrs, but I own a copy. My Japanese (former) daughter-in-law gave it to me for Christmas, saying it was one of her favorites. :eek:
Apparently the sentiment did not extent to the difficulties of remaining married to my bipolar youngest child. Not that I blame her.

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Mon June 14th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Foxe’s Book of Martyrs holds a unique place in the history of books – English books, at least. For about 100 years, it was second only to the Bible in the number of books printed on those new-fandangled printing presses. It was about the only printed book, besides the Bible, that a common person would likely to come in contact with. When Pilgrim’s Progress came along, it quickly surpassed Martyrs, but 100 years is a long time to be the #2 best seller!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon June 14th, 2010, 11:12 pm

I have a copy that looks like it should be on a podium in a church.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2010”