Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tsjmom's Book List 2010

What have you read in 2010? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Sun February 28th, 2010, 11:12 pm

'Glassblower of Murano' is told in an alternating present day/400 yrs ago format. I enjoyed the historical story part the most. There was more excitement, intrigue, and, well, history to it.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon March 1st, 2010, 1:44 am

I do enjoy books that have alternating time frames.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Mon March 1st, 2010, 3:10 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]I do enjoy books that have alternating time frames.[/quote]

I do too 'Lil!

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Sat March 6th, 2010, 6:50 pm

I love 'A Rose for the Crown'! I do wish I had read this one first in the trilogy, but you don't have to. I find myself very sympathetic toward Richard. I love the fact that he's faithful and loyal, so uncommon for his station in those days and, sadly, still a bit uncommon these days. I want to keep reading more about this time period, but I'm taking a break to read some WW2 HF so I don't get burned out. Can't wait to read #2 and anything else by Easter Smith.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Lost Man" by Jane Harper & "Cragside" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sat March 6th, 2010, 9:34 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]I do enjoy books that have alternating time frames.[/quote]

Me too, I usually enjoy the historical parts more.
Currently reading "Cragside" by L J Ross & "The Lost Man" by Jane Harper

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Sun March 7th, 2010, 12:56 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]Me too, I usually enjoy the historical parts more.[/quote]

Ditto Madeleine!

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Tue March 9th, 2010, 5:59 pm

"Night of Flames' was fantastic. Each short chapter was told from a different character's (and, thus, different story) voice. Lots of action regarding the invasion of Poland, the liberation of Antwerp, and the two countries' resistance groups involvement. Highly rec for any WW2 HF buffs!

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Thu March 11th, 2010, 9:42 pm

I should've loved 'Princess of Cleves', but I didn't. It reminded me of 'Mme Bovary' and many Jane Austen novels in that it was superficial talk about nothing. I find these types of stories unbearably boring. I just don't get all the hype. PofC was supposed to be ground breaking because it was one of the first French novels by a mysterious author about court life. I literally skimmed 2/3 of this very short book to be done with it. I can still add this to my list, right? ;)

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Tue March 23rd, 2010, 9:09 pm

'These Old Shades' was slow going at first. Reminded me of a Jane Austen novel detailing absolutely boring topics/ideas (ie "can you believe she wore those shoes", and then going on for 5 pgs about that one little thing). It did pick up and the ending was interesting, but I think I'll not pursue a ton of G. Heyer novels at this time.

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Sun May 2nd, 2010, 10:16 pm

After reading 'Powder and Patch', I've decided that I just don't care for Heyer's style. That book was almost 300 pgs about the games of love two young people play. The boring and mundane back and forth snippets almost drove me crazy.
Last edited by tsjmom on Sun May 2nd, 2010, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2010”