Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chatterbox's 2010 Reading Log!

What have you read in 2010? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun April 4th, 2010, 2:01 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Telynor, I don't know...
It's Georgette Heyer, but with a wry, cynical twist. If you didn't enjoy the opening chapters, you probably won't find much to love in the rest of it. I enjoyed it well enough, but am not sure I"ll be re-reading it any time soon. It was a bit too clever for the kind of book it set out to be. However I thought the King's Touch was excellent, and Passion very good.[/quote]

I've read _The King's Touch_ and found it to be fairly good. I'm discovering that you and I share pretty much the same tastes in books, I just wish I could devour them at the same rate you do! :p

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Sun April 4th, 2010, 8:28 pm

You want to be obsessive/compulsive?? :D :D

I've been reading at this pace since I was a teenager... and reading rapidly and omnivorously since the age of 7. My mother had to let me buy adult books starting at age 9 (when I started reading Plaidy and Margaret Campbell Barnes). And she had to ration my reading on holidays, because we couldn't take library books with us. (But she had to pay my brother a penny a page; obviously, the genes were unevenly distributed!)

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon April 5th, 2010, 1:53 am

[quote=""Chatterbox""]You want to be obsessive/compulsive?? :D :D

I've been reading at this pace since I was a teenager... and reading rapidly and omnivorously since the age of 7. My mother had to let me buy adult books starting at age 9 (when I started reading Plaidy and Margaret Campbell Barnes). And she had to ration my reading on holidays, because we couldn't take library books with us. (But she had to pay my brother a penny a page; obviously, the genes were unevenly distributed!)[/quote]

I'm already diagnosed. Thanks! ;)

I've noticed that in families, I'm throughly obsessive over books, I'll read just about anything I can lay my hands on. But my brother never reads -- I'm starting to wonder if it is a cultural thing. What's funny is that I can always remember being able to read and having none of the anguish over understanding what I read -- I was also cracking dictionaries at a young age; my grandmother claimed that I was reading at a very young age, and it just kept accelerating from there. I think that the ability to speak foreign languages must be mixed up in reading abilities as well -- I tend to pick up things fast when traveling. Another useless skill in our modern age!

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon April 5th, 2010, 6:23 am

Are we twins separated at birth, Telynor? I can remember being fascinated by words long before I began to read. I'm fluently bilingual in French, can muddle through in Russian and Japanese, have studied German and picked up a surprising amount of Spanish in only two weeks in Spain. (I can now read a newspaper in Spanish, oddly...) But the only other language I routinely read in nowadays is French -- my Japanese was never good enough, and in Russian it's just too painfully slow to do anything but some poems and the v. occasional short story. When I type, my fingers have to keep up with my mind; ditto when I read, the words have to flow into my brain at a certain pace or I get v. frustrated...

My brother has been known to refer to my home as a branch of the Brooklyn Public Library. Not without cause...

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue April 6th, 2010, 1:15 pm

We must be. ;) My language skills seem to be at the level of asking for direction, ordering a meal, and finding my way about in most languages. Russian and French, along with Latin and Hebrew I can get along without too much hassle; Spanish, for reasons that I can not comprehend, I have a terrible mental block about -- I can't handle it at all. Japanese, and a few words in Korean, I can handle very simple things in. Writing is another critter altogether -- I can write as long as the words flow, but once I start to get confused, I have to stop for a little bit and go do something else.

I am trying very hard to cut down on the number of books in this house, I really have to do something, and I am at the point of simply giving volumes away to make room. However, I will not surrender my Folio Society editions... :rolleyes:

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Are we twins separated at birth, Telynor? I can remember being fascinated by words long before I began to read. I'm fluently bilingual in French, can muddle through in Russian and Japanese, have studied German and picked up a surprising amount of Spanish in only two weeks in Spain. (I can now read a newspaper in Spanish, oddly...) But the only other language I routinely read in nowadays is French -- my Japanese was never good enough, and in Russian it's just too painfully slow to do anything but some poems and the v. occasional short story. When I type, my fingers have to keep up with my mind; ditto when I read, the words have to flow into my brain at a certain pace or I get v. frustrated...

My brother has been known to refer to my home as a branch of the Brooklyn Public Library. Not without cause...[/quote]

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon April 19th, 2010, 1:40 am

Second half of April:

Non-fiction:

Ghost Train to the Eastern Star by Paul Theroux
The Big Short by Michael Lewis
The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein
Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw by Will Ferguson
To Begin the World Over Again by John Hulsman
Nine Lives by William Dalrymple

Fiction:

An Empty Death by Laura Wilson
Never Let me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (re-read)
The Wild Zone by Joy Fielding
Paint, Gold & Blood by Michael Gilbert (re-read)
The Reluctant Hero by Michael Dobbs
The Mills of God by Deryn Lake
The Queen's Pawn by Christy English
Strange Images of Death by Barbara Cleverly
Aunt Dimity Down Under by Nancy Atherton
Lovers and Newcomers by Rosie Thomas
Spies of the Balkans by Alan Furst (ARC)
Strip by Thomas Perry
The Time of Singing by Elizabeth Chadwick
The Nearest Exit by Olen Steinhauer (ARC)
The Shadows in the Street by Susan Hill
Last edited by Chatterbox on Sat May 1st, 2010, 3:01 am, edited 10 times in total.
Reason: updating

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Wed May 5th, 2010, 3:48 am

First half of May:

Non-fiction:

Everything is Broken by Emma Larkin (ARC)
Ill Fares the Land by Tony Judt
The War for the Wall Street Journal by Sarah Ellison

Fiction:

Felicia's Journey by William Trevor
The Sonnet Lover by Carol Goodman
This Body of Death by Elizabeth George
One Day in May by Catherine Alliott
Reckless by Andrew Gross
The Mapping of Love and Death by Jacqueline Winspear
Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton
The Scarpetta Factor by Patricia Cornwell
Impact by Douglas Preston
9th Judgment by James Patterson
Last edited by Chatterbox on Sat May 15th, 2010, 4:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed May 5th, 2010, 3:49 am

How was "Sonnet Lover"? As good as "Night Villa"?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Sun May 23rd, 2010, 3:36 pm

Second half of May:

Non-fiction:

Mrs Adams in Winter by Michael O'Brien
Murder in the High Himalaya by Jonathan Green (ARC)
South from Barbary by Justin Marozzi
Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick
The Friendship: Wordsworth & Coleridge by Adam Sisman

Fiction:

A Loyal Character Dancer by Qiu Xiaolong
Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard
Midnight Girls by Lulu Taylor
Silk by Rupert James
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig
The Botticelli Secret by Marina Fiorato
The Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff
The Masque of the Black Tulip by Lauren Willig
Murder in the Marais by Cara Black
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
The Mathematics of Love by Emma Darwin
The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman
Excellent Women by Barbara Pym
The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte
Complicit by Nicci French
Still Life by Louise Penny
Last edited by Chatterbox on Tue June 1st, 2010, 1:06 am, edited 11 times in total.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun June 27th, 2010, 5:44 am

Since am unable to send you a msg over PM, your box is full, I just wanted to say "HI!" and that I miss seeing you on here!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2010”