Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? November 2011

Retired Threads
fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon November 7th, 2011, 2:51 pm

Just finished a NF Galla Placidia: The Last Roman Empress, not as detailed as a bio from 1968, but mined some good information. I have an ARC bio of Catherine the Great coming up next.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Mon November 7th, 2011, 3:22 pm

I've become a bit behind in my reading recently, work's been rubbish and I've not felt in the mood! But I did finish 'Snuff' by Terry Pratchett last week (fab), wall banged 'The Egyptian Years' by Elizabeth Harris and started 'The Girl' by Catherine Cookson, only to buy 'How to survive the Titanic or the sinking of J Bruce Ismay' by Frances Wilson with a book voucher today. I think Cathy Cookson may have to take a back seat with a Titanic book on the scene :D

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon November 7th, 2011, 5:50 pm

Just started "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini.

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Mon November 7th, 2011, 6:08 pm

I stayed up quite late last night to finish Beloved Exile. So interesting. I really liked getting inside Guinevere's head and watching her learn and grow during this period of her life.

More from that era as I begin Joan Wolf's Road to Avalon on my Kindle App for iPad today.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon November 7th, 2011, 11:53 pm

[quote=""TiciaRoma""]I stayed up quite late last night to finish Beloved Exile. So interesting. I really liked getting inside Guinevere's head and watching her learn and grow during this period of her life.

More from that era as I begin Joan Wolf's Road to Avalon on my Kindle App for iPad today.[/quote]

I've read a couple of Parke Godwin's books and liked them. I hadn't heard of Beloved Exile though, thanks for mentioning it.

Finished The Eden Passion and getting ready to start in on The Women of Eden by Marilyn Harris. I tell ya, those who like their fiction dark, moody, their heroes and heroines with warts and all, murder, madness mayhem, incest and whatever else you can think of these are the books for you. The Prince of Eden had me bawling my eyes out, I cried as much as I did with The Reckoning.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue November 8th, 2011, 12:36 am

Princess of Glass by Jessica George. Teen fantasy.

I'm also done with Black Lamb & Grey Falcon! :D It took awhile but it was a great tome!

scubachick420
Scribbler

Post by scubachick420 » Tue November 8th, 2011, 11:32 am

[quote=""Misfit""]

Finished The Eden Passion and getting ready to start in on The Women of Eden by Marilyn Harris. I tell ya, those who like their fiction dark, moody, their heroes and heroines with warts and all, murder, madness mayhem, incest and whatever else you can think of these are the books for you. The Prince of Eden had me bawling my eyes out, I cried as much as I did with The Reckoning.[/quote]

I just started this series, thanks to your recommendations. About 1/3 way through the first book "This Other Eden" and loving it! A real page turner. The characters just grab you and pull you along. Already requested the next one from my library.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue November 8th, 2011, 1:13 pm

spb, Thousand Splendid Suns is one of my favorite books; hope you like it as much as I did.
But I did finish 'Snuff' by Terry Pratchett last week (fab)
I didn't care for his last two. Does this one come close to his earlier genius?

Now reading Kay's Last Light of the Sun. Not liking it as much as his others, I think the fairy element is bothering me. Yes, I know its historic fantasy, and I know its based on a sort of Celtic land, but still - I think if I read this first it wouldn't bother me, but now, Im just rolling my eyes and skimming over that part. Im also starting to find his characters and plots too similar. May need to take a break before I read more of his.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue November 8th, 2011, 3:49 pm

[quote=""scubachick420""]I just started this series, thanks to your recommendations. About 1/3 way through the first book "This Other Eden" and loving it! A real page turner. The characters just grab you and pull you along. Already requested the next one from my library.[/quote]

Wait until you get to book two. Have plenty of tissue on hand for the last 100 pages and do not read in public unless you want the world seeing you cry. Women of Eden is awesome and it killed me to put it down and head to work. All I want to do is go home and see what happens next. What a complicated family...
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed November 9th, 2011, 12:43 am

[quote=""MLE""]I'm re-reading the Second Duchess by Elizabeth Loupas. My book group is doing it next Tuesday. Catching small details I missed the first round.[/quote]

I finished that one last weekend - really enjoyed it! Currently reading Brief Gaudy Hour by Margaret Campbell Barnes.

Return to “Archives”