Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading October 2011?

Retired Threads
Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Mon October 31st, 2011, 10:31 am

Lady on the coin - Margaret Campbell Barnes/Hebe Elsna and A respectable trade - Philippa Gregory
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon October 31st, 2011, 1:09 pm

Not HF - A Lion Among Men, a sequel to the sequel of Wicked. The author will be in town in a few weeks and I wanted to catch up on the series before getting his new book when we go to the reading.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon October 31st, 2011, 3:18 pm

[quote=""javagirl""]I finished and greatly enjoyed The Bastard ( from Jake's Kent Family Chronicles series) and have now moved on to The Rebels.[/quote]

I read the series several years ago and very much enjoyed them with the exception that nearly every major female character was abducted and/or raped. I think that was a left over artifact from Jake's racier writing under another name, but it got old for me.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue November 1st, 2011, 2:13 am

Finished a bunch of books the last 11 days:
"The Sherlockian" by Graham Moore (350pgs, 2010) (10/20)* - A mystery in a mystery. Takes place in the present with an apparent murder and a hunt for a missing diary of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and the past in the early 1900s with the murders of young women, which Doyle and Bram Stoker investigating.

"Edward I (Yale English Monarchs)" by Michael Prestwich (595pgs, 1988, 1997ed) (10/24)* - A scholarly look at the history of this king.

"Who Murdered Chaucer?: A Medieval Mystery" by Terry Jones, et al. (361pgs, 2003) (10/24)* - Why did the most famous poet of "The Canterbury Tales" and the "father of the English language" disappear with pretty much no trace, no death notice, no will, and his authorial collection missing? Was he murdered? If so, why and by whom?

"The Duchess Who Wouldn't Sit Down: An Informal History of Hospitality" by Jesse Browner (190pgs, 2003) (10/24)* - Interesting and short read.

"Unnatural Murder: Poison At The Court of James I" by Anne Somerset (476pgs, 1997) (10/25)* - The nonfiction book of the murder of Sir Thomas Overbury. Not a bad book, but a little tedious at times and none of the people are sympathetic.

"Theodora: Actress, Empress, Whore" by Stella Duffy (336pgs, 2011) (10/27) - Fictional novel of the wife of the Emperor Justinian of Byzantine Empire. A little religious at times, but a good book. I was disappointed that it didn't cover some of the exciting parts of his reign.

"Emily Post: Daughter of the Gilded Age, Mistress of American Manners" by Laura Claridge (464pgs, 2009) (10/31) - A very good biography about this fascinating woman, a Gilded Age princess who became the Queen of Etiquette.

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Tue November 1st, 2011, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue November 1st, 2011, 1:07 pm

Decided to try some of Eric Ambler's spy novels. Read An Epitaph for a Spy and am currently reading A Coffin for Dimitrios. Also have Buchan's The Thirty-Nine Steps queued up to listen to at some point this month.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue November 8th, 2011, 3:38 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's books (her name goes in that order :) ) are vampire novels for people who think they dislike vampire novels. Like, um, me. I read her most recent book, An Embarrassment of Riches, purely because of the unusual setting - 13th-c Bohemia - and really enjoyed it.[/quote]

Thanks, Ariadne, I have no idea why I got her name jumbled up. Still an odd surname, IMHO.

Having now finished the book, I have to say now that I was disappointed with it. I would classify myself like you as someone who thinks he dislikes vampire novels. She nearly converted me, and her knowledge of Rome is excellent, but the novel fell down by the end. The central love story was not nearly convincing enough, IMO, and if I have ever to read about the vampire's 'small hands' again, I will scream. Once, fine. Twice, fine. But to be reminded every few pages throughout a 480 page book - enough already!
Three stars out of five.

(In a small gripe that has nothing to do with my opinion of the book, it's clearly a digital reprint and has rather a lot of typos. Not good when it's being sold at £17/$25 for a paperback.)
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Return to “Archives”