Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading October 2011?

Retired Threads
wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Wed October 5th, 2011, 2:37 pm

Larry McMurtry's "Lonesome Dove" - what a great read.
I'm really enjoying the style, and the book is so much more fun than the movie!
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed October 5th, 2011, 7:18 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I'm still reading Mary I by John Edwards, and am also reading The Reluctant Queen by Geraldine Evans (HF about Mary, Henry VIII's sister).[/quote]

And what do you think of The Reluctant Queen? I think I added that one to my TBR pile...but I can't remember. Oh boy the books are all starting to bleed together!
Brenna

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed October 5th, 2011, 7:36 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]And what do you think of The Reluctant Queen? I think I added that one to my TBR pile...but I can't remember. Oh boy the books are all starting to bleed together![/quote]

I finished it at lunch. It was pretty bad, I'm afraid. I'll try to post the review here later, but in the meantime, here's a link:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/219315022
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu October 6th, 2011, 4:38 am

I'm reading NF -- Modoc: the true story of the greatest elephant who ever lived by Ralph Helfer. I have a thing for elephants.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu October 6th, 2011, 6:09 am

Posted by MLE
I'm reading NF -- Modoc: the true story of the greatest elephant who ever lived by Ralph Helfer. I have a thing for elephants.
Aah - that a wonderful story, but so sad.... I think it' s probably best described as faction.

Currently reading Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell,a contemporary adult/YA novel set in the Appalachians. Powerful, bleak and beautifully written. I believe it's been made into a movie which I'd like to see now.
Last edited by annis on Fri October 7th, 2011, 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu October 6th, 2011, 8:41 am

[quote=""MLE""]I'm reading NF -- Modoc: the true story of the greatest elephant who ever lived by Ralph Helfer. I have a thing for elephants.[/quote]

So do I! :) I have loads of elephant ornaments dotted round my house, plus jewellery. I have a lovely 2ft tall wooden Ganesha which I bought in Goa.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu October 6th, 2011, 11:30 am

[quote=""annis""]Posted by MLE

Aah - that a wonderful story, but so sad.... I think it' s probably best described as faction.

Currently reading Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell,a contemporary adult/YA contemporary novel set in the Appalachians. Powerful, bleak and beautifully written. I believe it's been made into a movie which I'd like to see now.[/quote]

Yes it was made into a movie a couple of years ago or so and was highly acclaimed, I think the young actress was Oscar-nominated.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu October 6th, 2011, 1:23 pm

Reading Lionheart is helping bring together all the connections that have been nebulus in my knowledge of world history in that time period. Globalization has always been with us, in one way or another....

Thinking that Alys, Constance and Joanna are the most tragic figures in this story (haven't finished yet). They certainly represent what women were forced into during that time period. As much as I love reading about the middle ages, I am glad I live in this century!

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu October 6th, 2011, 1:24 pm

Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu October 6th, 2011, 2:10 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Reading Lionheart is helping bring together all the connections that have been nebulus in my knowledge of world history in that time period. Globalization has always been with us, in one way or another....

Thinking that Alys, Constance and Joanna are the most tragic figures in this story (haven't finished yet). They certainly represent what women were forced into during that time period. As much as I love reading about the middle ages, I am glad I live in this century![/quote]

We should start a buddy read for everyone lucky enough to have it in their little hands now!
Brenna

Return to “Archives”