Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading October 2011?

Retired Threads
Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu October 27th, 2011, 7:56 pm

There's a lot of history in some of those old city cemeteries.

If I remember correctly, I think Neil Gaiman thanks Niffenegger in his author's note at the end of The Graveyard Book. I think she was writing HFS around the same time, and had shared some of her research with him (or was it vice versa?). I hope I'm remembering that correctly. My brain plays hide and seek with information these days!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu October 27th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Just started Dark Matter by Michelle Paver. Good so far. The fact that I fell asleep over the pages is down to me being knackered rather than any detriment to the author!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

scubachick420
Scribbler

Post by scubachick420 » Thu October 27th, 2011, 10:44 pm

Starting Phantom by Susan Kay tonight. I may have to reread Legacy since it's been years. And requested This Other Eden at the library from Misfit's recommendation. Looking forward to trying a new author.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 27th, 2011, 11:19 pm

[quote=""scubachick420""]Starting Phantom by Susan Kay tonight. I may have to reread Legacy since it's been years. And requested This Other Eden at the library from Misfit's recommendation. Looking forward to trying a new author.[/quote]

Some friends at Goodreads are already on books two and three of the Eden series and still loving it. Very dark and gothicky. She's got a few other titles outside of this series I'd like to try, starting with Warrick which the library has.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

UrsetheBear

Post by UrsetheBear » Thu October 27th, 2011, 11:55 pm

Hello, im reading the King of Ithaca by Glyn Iliffe. Its quite enjoyable, the first book ive read by this author, i might be misaken but its his first novel. Very well done

scubachick420
Scribbler

Post by scubachick420 » Fri October 28th, 2011, 2:35 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Some friends at Goodreads are already on books two and three of the Eden series and still loving it. Very dark and gothicky. She's got a few other titles outside of this series I'd like to try, starting with Warrick which the library has.[/quote]

Just checked and my library has all her books. Can't wait to get started on the series and will look forward to trying Warrick too.

Chiliarch
Scribbler

Post by Chiliarch » Fri October 28th, 2011, 11:23 am

Hello, im reading the King of Ithaca by Glyn Iliffe. Its quite enjoyable, the first book ive read by this author, i might be misaken but its his first novel. Very well done
I enjoyed it too and I found his next two novels "The Gates of Troy" and "The Armour of Achilles" even better, though not as good as "The Song of Achilles".

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Fri October 28th, 2011, 1:46 pm

I bought a $1 paperback copy of Outlander at a thrift/charity store a couple days ago and am now reading it for a second time (since first read in Aug 1996). Don't know why, since I've got sooooo many never-reads in my stack! :rolleyes:
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat October 29th, 2011, 3:15 am

I often wonder about ghosts who seem to haunt particlar houses or buildings and wonder if they sense our presence and think we are haunting them?! :eek:

Sorry about not responding more quickly but I have not been well but feel better now, thank goodness. :)

The book I am reading now is Sarah Brown's autobiography but I will soon head back to HF soon...I sometimes need a break.

As for 'Notes on a Scandal' I loved that book and the movie version of it too, but strangely I was disappointed in Hellers book 'The Believers' ( I think that's the title) and didn't finish it.

I really loved 'Phantom' by Susan Kay she gives a whole new insight into Erik and Legacy is now on my TBR list. What a great writer she is.

Bec :)

scubachick420
Scribbler

Post by scubachick420 » Sat October 29th, 2011, 9:06 am

I really loved 'Phantom' by Susan Kay she gives a whole new insight into Erik and Legacy is now on my TBR list. What a great writer she is.

Bec :) [/QUOTE]

I'm about half way through with "Phantom". It's a page turner - she does a great job of pulling you in from the first page.

Still reading several books on the Wars of the Roses. Attempting to get all the events and people straight and I just read that GRRM's series was loosely based on it. I read all but the last book when they first came out but decided to wait til he finishes the series to start from the beginning again (since he is taking so long to write them).

Return to “Archives”