Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? September 2011

Retired Threads
Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu September 22nd, 2011, 2:04 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Sunrise of Avalon by Anna Elliott[/quote]

How are you liking this? I only read the first book as I was waiting for all of them to come out because I read the last two!

[quote=""MLE""]Finished Mistress of Rome -- liked it. I don't care enough about the Doomsday book to finish it. Now I'm thinking I should sample Susannah Kearsley, since she seems to get so much favorable attention.[/quote]

I've only read The Winter Sea, but I loved it! I recommend her if you want to curl up at night for an enjoyable read!
Brenna

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu September 22nd, 2011, 6:39 pm

Brenna - I'm enjoying it. If you liked the first one, I think you'll like the others as well. The writing is very similar throughout the series.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri September 23rd, 2011, 5:38 am

Your most welcome BB. I have read so many HF books in this time period and yet I could find so little on Margaret of Anjou apart from references to her from those other books. I kept typing her name into google and then one day~ voila your book appeared and I immediately ordered it. :D

I enjoyed reading the book from Margarets perspective as I found her to be quite fascinating especially when you take in everything that happened during that period in history....yet her own story remained untold until now.
I will look forward to your next book.

Bec :)

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri September 23rd, 2011, 12:54 pm

Started reading Winston Graham's Poldark series. Have the first three on Kindle and am in the middle of the 2nd book. I think there are 12 books total in the series. Hopefully, Sourcebooks has plans to eventually reissue all of them. I'll probably have to wait for the others after I finish the third (And, no, I never saw the 70s series on tv).

Steve Anderson
Scribbler

Post by Steve Anderson » Fri September 23rd, 2011, 11:41 pm

It's not historical fiction in the traditional sense, but The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick is making me think about how history can always have turned out much differently.

Written in the early 60s, it's a thoughtful alternate history in which the United States lost WW2 and is a weakened land split up and co-governed by a powerful Japan and Germany. Americans have lost their identity and follow Imperial Japanese culture in the West and Nazi ways in the East. In the story, there's an alternate history in which the US and its Allies won the war. Whoa.

I don't read much alternate history, but this is blowing my mind. While the storyline is a little loose so far, it makes up for it with interesting characters and an eye-opening twist on a historical outcome we take for granted.
http://www.stephenfanderson.com | Novelist, writer, literary translator

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat September 24th, 2011, 3:32 am

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller, a coming-of-age story about the most famous of the legendary Greek warriors, as seen by his companion/lover Patroclus.

Amazingly, aspects of the Trojan War (like the story of King Arthur) continue after centuries to inspire new and fresh interpretations- the well never seems to run dry.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sat September 24th, 2011, 9:07 am

Finally finished 'Lusitania' by David Butler after two weeks and loved it - there was a great deal of background into the politics of WW1 and the unrestricted U Boat campaign that resulted in the ship's sinking. Now on 'Murder on the Orient Express' by Agatha Christie :)

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat September 24th, 2011, 3:00 pm

I have re-started The Traitor's Wife, which, being on my kindle, is in a place I can find it. I'm finding it rather Plaidy-ish -- one darn historical episode after another. But competent, so it will likely get finished--over several months. Not the kind of novel that keeps me glued.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat September 24th, 2011, 4:33 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Started reading Winston Graham's Poldark series. Have the first three on Kindle and am in the middle of the 2nd book. I think there are 12 books total in the series. Hopefully, Sourcebooks has plans to eventually reissue all of them. I'll probably have to wait for the others after I finish the third (And, no, I never saw the 70s series on tv).[/quote]

Yes there are 12 books altogether.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun September 25th, 2011, 5:48 am

Ludmilla--"Started reading Winston Graham's Poldark series..."

Madeleine--"Yes there are 12 books altogether.."

I have just finished 'Queen by Right'(liked it more than I thought I would) and have now begun 'The Butterfly Cabinet' by Bernie McGill.

I saw the Poldark books on Amazon with lovely new covers and was in two minds about buying them. Do let me know what you think of them? And no I never saw the TV show either.

Bec :)

Return to “Archives”