Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? September 2011

Retired Threads
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed September 14th, 2011, 2:03 pm

That's fascinating, Ludmilla - which medium would you say you preferred?

I loved the TV version too, it was one of the best they've done for ages although it's a while since it was shown here - 2004 I think? - RA was great in it - "look at me"!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed September 14th, 2011, 3:16 pm

Just watched North and South over the weekend, as well. RA is definitely worthy eye candy. Loved him in the otherwise abominable Robin Hood series out a couple of years ago.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed September 14th, 2011, 5:15 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]That's fascinating, Ludmilla - which medium would you say you preferred?

I loved the TV version too, it was one of the best they've done for ages although it's a while since it was shown here - 2004 I think? - RA was great in it - "look at me"![/quote]

I think they all have their merits, but I personally am able to follow stories better when I read them (this is partly due to the fact that I don't hear so well anymore and I struggle to understand when there is an accent or the reader is reading too fast). However, listening and reading together is really interesting. As for tv version, I don't doubt I will be watching it again! :D

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Wed September 14th, 2011, 11:39 pm

I'm reading The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. It's very good but I do feel like there is an abundance of metaphors and similies. It's becoming distracting. My husband and I counted four in two pages last night. I know it's supposed to be historical with a literary flair but is this type of writing truly our goal as writers? To drown in "like a..."?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 15th, 2011, 1:11 pm

Along with the Massie book on Catherine the Great, I've started From Distant Shores by Bruce Nicolaysen. A six book family dynasty kind of series starting with the first settlements at New York.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu September 15th, 2011, 1:13 pm

I have Patrick Dewitt's The Sisters Brothers queued up to read next (that's a hard title to say, isn't it?). Also hope to read Bruce Duffy's Disaster Was My God soon, which is about poet, Arthur Rimbaud.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu September 15th, 2011, 2:32 pm

I'm re-reading Paths of Exile. Thought I'd go plug it on amazon with a review, now that it is in kindle format.

I'm posting all my HFO reviews on amazon, and writing ones for my favorite books as part of my 'finish the website' strategy. It occurred to me that your amazon profile is a quick way for other readers to figure out if you have the same likes and dislikes, which is half the battle in searching out books that suit one's personal tastes.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu September 15th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Giving up on Fools of Fortune by William Trevor. Not a bad book, but the topic (The Irish Troubles) just didn't grab me in my current mood. I'm off to London tomorrow night to visit with my daughter who is studying abroad. I think I'll pick up the next two books in the George R.R. Martin series for the plane trips.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri September 16th, 2011, 2:13 am

fljustice--"Just watched North and South over the weekend, as well. RA is definitely worthy eye candy. Loved him in the otherwise abominable Robin Hood series out a couple of years ago."

I loved the TV adaptation of North and South, I thought the screenplay stayed very true to the book and ofcourse RA is simply gorgeous....But the one thing I like about good TV adaptations is that if it is well done I will read the book. I did the same with Persuasion(the Cirian hinds version)I loved the movie and thought it to be the better adaptation of Jane Austin's book. Persuasion is also my favourite Austin novel.

I have the DVD's of both shows and am always re-watching them...It beats football!!! :rolleyes: lol

Bec

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Fri September 16th, 2011, 2:15 am

Finished The Sleepwalkers, which I thoroughly enjoyed (review here).

I'm now reading an ARC of M.J. Rose's THE BOOK OF LOST FRAGRANCES, a gorgeous novel of suspense about the search for the lost fragrances of Cleopatra. So far, it's enthralling. I love this author's work and she deserves to hit the bestseller list with this one.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Return to “Archives”