Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? September 2011

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri September 30th, 2011, 2:57 pm

I am now starting on 'Lady of the Rivers' *SIGH*! I had to FF her marriage to DofB to save my sanity!! This is her worst book!
It really is a case of don't buy it, borrow it.
Rather dire, isn't it?

I've started The Millionaire's Daughter by Dorothy Eden. Another one of those self made New York men taking his daughter to England to find a wealthy husband.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri September 30th, 2011, 5:18 pm

I'm just about to start Patty Jane's House of Curl by Lorna Landvik - I feel like something a little light-hearted!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri September 30th, 2011, 5:36 pm

I've finished 4 books in the last week or so:
"Hot Time in the Old Town: The Great Heat Wave of 1896 and the Making of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edward P. Kohn (275pgs, 2011) (9/22) - Interesting, but a bit more political then I was expecting as it concentrates a lot on the 1896 campaign of William Jennings Bryan.

"Crying: The Natural & Cultural History of Tears" by Tom Lutz (288pgs, 1999) (9/25)* - Also interesting, but a bit scientific for my taste at times.

"Landmarks of Britain: The Five Hundred Place That Made Our History" by Clive Aslet (572pgs, 2005) (9/26)* - Very good book, learned loads of interesting information but it did have some small errors early on in the book, the major one being that Richard of Cornwall was not Henry III's son but his brother.

"New York To Dallas (In Death) by J.D. Robb (402pgs, 2011) (9/28)* - Another great book in this series, I hope she continues it for a long, long time.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Sat October 1st, 2011, 10:53 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Rather dire, isn't it?

I've started The Millionaire's Daughter by Dorothy Eden. Another one of those self made New York men taking his daughter to England to find a wealthy husband.[/quote]
Oh, darn! So sad! Jacquetta deserves better...I think this is the only fictional book on her in particular.
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat October 1st, 2011, 11:57 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Just started "Dead to the World" by Charlaine Harris.[/quote]

Ooh, I'm just busy with the Charlaine Harris books - loving them. On number 2 at the moment - forgotten the title. I was trying to read them a bit more slowly but they're very moreish!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun October 2nd, 2011, 3:38 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Ooh, I'm just busy with the Charlaine Harris books - loving them. On number 2 at the moment - forgotten the title. I was trying to read them a bit more slowly but they're very moreish![/quote]

Yes they're very addictive aren't they, in fact I'm re-reading them as I probably read them too quickly the first time! :o Number 2 is Living Dead in Dallas, and it's very funny especially towards the end, my second favourite of the books so far. Enjoy! ;)
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Archives”