Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? September 2011

Retired Threads
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon September 26th, 2011, 7:16 pm

I'm just about to start Black Ships by Jo Graham, at long last!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Mon September 26th, 2011, 9:21 pm

I am now reading A Bitter Truth by Charles Todd. About a wartime nurse who solves mysteries. Takes place in 1916-1917, in England and the Front. This is the third in the series.
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue September 27th, 2011, 3:24 am

Thanks Madeleine & Ludmilla :)

I will probably buy as many as I can(Poldark series) and then keep them till I have collected the lot and then I can read them without having to wait.

Thank goodness I came to know about EC and SKP late in the day and was able to read their books one after the other without having to wait years. As it is I am toe tapping waiting for Martin to release 'Winds of Winter,' by the time he does I'll have dug my way down to China :D lol.

Bec :)

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Wed September 28th, 2011, 8:27 am

'The Russian Court at Sea - the last days of a great dynasty: the Romanovs' voyage into exile' by Frances Welch. Good so far :)

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed September 28th, 2011, 2:38 pm

EC's Lords of the White Castle
Brenna

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed September 28th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Back to the Millennium trilogy with The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri September 30th, 2011, 3:03 am

I finished 'The Butterfly Cabinet' an interesting read. I wanted to know how a mother could turn into such a monster. The revelation came at the end but I had already guessed it. Still it's worth it if you have nothing else to read.

I am now starting on 'Lady of the Rivers' :rolleyes: :rolleyes: *SIGH*! I had to FF her marriage to DofB to save my sanity!! This is her worst book!
It really is a case of don't buy it, borrow it.

Bec :)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri September 30th, 2011, 3:17 am

Only Time Will Tell, by master storyteller, Jeffrey Archer, the man with the Midas touch. First in a series, it covers the period between the two World Wars of the C20th.

Coincidentally, Margaret has just posted a review on her Historical Novels Info website.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri September 30th, 2011, 10:10 am

Just started "Dead to the World" by Charlaine Harris.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri September 30th, 2011, 12:55 pm

Reading the October BotM, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

Also still working on Bruce Duffy's fictional biography about Rimbaud. The present tense combined with non-linear storytelling make it a little hard for me to stayed consistently engaged. I read a chapter or two, then put it down for a few days or a week before going back to it.

Return to “Archives”