Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? September 2011

Retired Threads
Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun September 25th, 2011, 10:24 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Reading EC's The Scarlet Lion. Just over one week until the release of SKP's Lionheart. I'm getting very excited, especially since Penman's first stop on her booktour is 30 minutes from my house!![/quote]

Sharon will also be near me, at a Barnes and Noble about 15 minutes away! I guess you are going to the one at Chester County Books. I saw her there in the summer of 2009. Drove 75 miles to get there!
Last edited by Susan on Sun September 25th, 2011, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun September 25th, 2011, 11:55 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I expect you're going to be there to get your copy of Lionheart personally signed? :D [/quote]

Actually, I mentioned this in another thread but I'm OCD about books by the same author being in the same format. As I have all of SKP's books in paperback, I will wait to buy Lionheart in paperback. However, I am taking Devil's Brood to get signed and buying Lionheart for my grandmother. So when Sharon does her booktour for Ransom, I will take the paperback version of Lionheart to get signed. :D

I will report back Misfit!
Brenna

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon September 26th, 2011, 1:37 am

Finished Cynthia Ozicks Heir to the Glimmering World which was quite a good novel set in NYC during the 30s. Now reading Mark Vonnegut's memoir of his fight with mental illness (he is the son of Kurt Vonnegut, one of my all time fav authors).

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Mon September 26th, 2011, 2:42 am

Trying to finish The forgotten garden - Kate Morton.
Just picke dup The kitchen boy - Robert Alexander which already seems like it will be a good read. :)
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon September 26th, 2011, 3:15 am

Ludmilla--"I just finished the third book, Jeremy, this morning and have really enjoyed them. Definitely want to read the others..."

I will definately think about buying them...But are they stand alone books like EC's? Or do they end in a cliff hanger? I would hate to read the third one and then have to wait and wait and wait.

I remember buying Penmarric earlier this year but for some reason I simply could not get into it...and now I can't remember why?! But I have kept the book...perhaps one day I will finish it.

Bec :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon September 26th, 2011, 9:09 am

The Poldark books are a definite series in that they follow the family, so you have the births of children and the usual family events and scandals, so you probably do need to read them in order.

EC and Annis - thanks for the info about the Barbara Ewing books; I have The Mesmerist on mount tbr and will look out for the sequel.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon September 26th, 2011, 9:14 am

[quote=""annis""]Barbara Ewing is rather underrated but writes a great yarn. Circus of Ghosts was actually the sequel to an earlier novel called The Mesmerist. My only complaint is that she sometimes packs in everything including the kitchen sink![/quote]

I loved Ewing's The Fraud and was planning to read Circus of Ghosts soon, but if it makes sense to read The Mesmerist first, then I'll do that. Thanks for the info.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon September 26th, 2011, 9:53 am

I really enjoyed Rosetta by Barbara Ewing. I have The Mesmerist on my TBR pile, so will have to look out for Circle of Ghosts, too.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon September 26th, 2011, 1:44 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]But are they stand alone books like EC's? Or do they end in a cliff hanger? I would hate to read the third one and then have to wait and wait and wait.
[/quote]

I don't think the third book ends in what I'd call a nailbiting cliffhanger. The two main plot threads revolve around a trial and the repercussions of a falling out between members of the Poldark family. You do get resolution, or at the very least a satisfying amount of clarity, for those threads, but the author also starts developing other threads that will come into play in the following books. I have heard the fourth book ends with a cliffhanger, though, so it might be nice to have the fifth on hand before reading that one. Looks like the first seven books are contiguous in action, taking place between 1783 and 1799. Then there is a time gap and the eighth book resumes in 1810 with the twelfth book completing the series in 1820.
Last edited by Ludmilla on Mon September 26th, 2011, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon September 26th, 2011, 3:02 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I really enjoyed Rosetta by Barbara Ewing. I have The Mesmerist on my TBR pile, so will have to look out for Circle of Ghosts, too.[/quote]

Just been looking at her books and "Trespass" looks quite good too.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Archives”