Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? September 2011

Retired Threads
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun September 25th, 2011, 12:13 pm

I haven't read all of the Poldark books, but I did read the ones at the earlier end of the spectrum and loved them to bits. From long ago memory, they are well worth the read.

I have just finished Circus of Ghosts by Barbara Ewing. Confession - I had to read it because I'm doing a gig with Barbara Ewing next week in London. But once I got into it, I enjoyed it a lot. It's a sort of saga/adventure melange set in the 19th century when New York was vibrant and dangerous, and everyone had Gold Rush fever. A circus plays a big part in the story and if you enjoyed Water for Elephants and are still longing for the smell of the sawdust, you might go for this. I would also say that if you enjoyed The Tea Rose and if you like warm-hearted brawling sagas, this one will suit your taste. I had a long train journey earlier this week and it kept me excellent company.
Last edited by EC2 on Sun September 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 25th, 2011, 12:54 pm

I'm reading The Buccaneers by Edith Wharton as well as slowly working away at the new Robert Massie book on Catherine the Great.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sun September 25th, 2011, 1:57 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]I saw the Poldark books on Amazon with lovely new covers and was in two minds about buying them. Do let me know what you think of them? And no I never saw the TV show either.

Bec :) [/quote]

I just finished the third book, Jeremy, this morning and have really enjoyed them. Definitely want to read the others, but I'll probably have to wait until they are Kindlized (I hope there are plans in the works to bring all of them to Kindle). My library doesn't have them and I am just too lazy to ILL the other nine, esp if I think a reissue may be forthcoming. Now I look forward to watching the series on Netflix.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun September 25th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Started March by Geraldine Brooks this lunchtime. I have heard mixed review. I'm enjoying it a lot so far -except some of the gory stuff at the beginning didn't really go with having something to eat!
Les proz e les vassals

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun September 25th, 2011, 4:03 pm

Right now I am reading Letters to Vicky, a collection of letters to and from Queen Victoria and her eldest daughter, Vicky, Crown Princess of Germany. One thing that is really hitting me is how intimate the letters are -- the Queen wants to know how Vicky's new rooms in Berlin are arranged, what she is wearing, how she is settling in -- and the letters are going out and coming back almost every day. There's lots of gossip as well, as well as the queen's own very strong opinions.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun September 25th, 2011, 5:00 pm

Barbara Ewing is rather underrated but writes a great yarn. Circus of Ghosts was actually the sequel to an earlier novel called The Mesmerist. My only complaint is that she sometimes packs in everything including the kitchen sink!

I loved the Poldark books back in the day. My family always knew what to get me for birthdays and Christmas- the latest Poldark :)

Currently working my way through Cam Esslemont's Malazan spin-off trilogy. Usual fantasy scenario - cast of thousands and constant shift of POV so having the occasional "what? where am I? who are these people"? moments, but I'm finding it entertaining.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun September 25th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Reading EC's The Scarlet Lion. Just over one week until the release of SKP's Lionheart. I'm getting very excited, especially since Penman's first stop on her booktour is 30 minutes from my house!!
Brenna

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun September 25th, 2011, 5:41 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Reading EC's The Scarlet Lion. Just over one week until the release of SKP's Lionheart. I'm getting very excited, especially since Penman's first stop on her booktour is 30 minutes from my house!![/quote]

I expect you're going to be there to get your copy of Lionheart personally signed? :D
Les proz e les vassals

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 25th, 2011, 6:37 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Reading EC's The Scarlet Lion. Just over one week until the release of SKP's Lionheart. I'm getting very excited, especially since Penman's first stop on her booktour is 30 minutes from my house!![/quote]

Oh I hope you go and report back. I'm jealous.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sun September 25th, 2011, 8:19 pm

[quote=""annis""]Currently working my way through Cam Esslemont's Malazan spin-off trilogy. [/quote]

What did you think of Song of Achilles?
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Return to “Archives”