Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading August 2011?

Retired Threads
LGWalker
Scribbler

History of women's rights

Post by LGWalker » Sat August 6th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Lake of Dreams turned out to be a nice, albeit a bit slow, novel centered around the Finger Lakes region of upstate NY, and had a nice slice of women's rights history added in. I'm putting it out there in case this is of interest to anyone.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat August 6th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Plague Child by Peter Ransley, first in a series set during the English Civil War (which seems to have become the HF setting du jour in British historical fiction). This one takes place during the build-up to the first engagement at Edgehill. The writing is vivid, but the story seems oddly disjointed, which made it less than a total success imo. Maybe it's just me, because it appears to have glowing reviews around the place.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sun August 7th, 2011, 7:24 pm

Avalon by Anya Seton :)

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun August 7th, 2011, 10:55 pm

NF right now is The Four Graces: Queen Victoria's Hessian Granddaughters and for fiction, Drood by Dan Simmons.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon August 8th, 2011, 1:19 am

I am having difficulty with Lady of the English and it has nothing to do with EC's writing - as usual it is splendid. It has to do with the fact that I have read SKP's book about the same topic about three times, and have certain images stuck in my head. Its hard to reconcile EC's vision with Sharon's, so its easier to skip some of the sections. It might be interesting at some point to have a discussion about both books together. In the meantime, I keep reading because she has me hooked on the characters. The parts I absolutely love are the beginnings with Matilda, and her relationship with Adelza. Its also been interesting seeing certain people in action, such as Bigod and Marshall, who I have read in earlier books.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon August 8th, 2011, 2:11 am

Ash--"I am having difficulty with Lady of the English and it has nothing to do with EC's writing - as usual it is splendid. It has to do with the fact that I have read SKP's book about the same topic about three times, and have certain images stuck in my head....It might be interesting at some point to have a discussion about both books together."

I really enjoyed Lady of the English and it has been a while since I had read SKP's book. The book that stuck in my head was 'Pillars of the Earth' by Ken Follett. But I like your idea about reading EC & SKP at the same time. It would make for a very interesting discussion.

Bec :)

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon August 8th, 2011, 11:36 am

As it so happens, reading both When Christ and His Saints Slept and EC's Lady of the English is exactly what I plan on doing. I have to order EC's book today, but I've already started rereeading Saints. I can't believe how much I have forgotten in the two years since I read it last.
Brenna

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon August 8th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Started Queen by Right...only 30 pages in and feeling meh. Might be because I'm mentally absorbed in finishing my current WIP in a totally different time period (one chapter to go) or maybe because I started it when I was tired. Will be giving it a couple more chapters...
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Elysium
Reader

Post by Elysium » Mon August 8th, 2011, 6:56 pm

Claiming the Courtesan by Anna Campbell

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Mon August 8th, 2011, 7:04 pm

The Sheriff of Nottingham by Richard Kluger
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Return to “Archives”