Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading August 2011?

Retired Threads
Elysium
Reader

Post by Elysium » Fri August 26th, 2011, 6:22 pm

I started reading The Traitor's Wife by Kathleen Kent but didn't finish it. It was boring and I just couldn't care less what happened with the characters.

Now I'm reading My Lord John by Georgette Heyer. Bit on the dry side but I'm liking it more than The Conqueror.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat August 27th, 2011, 3:29 am

I finished 1 book yesterday and 2 today:
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" (759pgs, 2007, reread)*. Even though I read this twice when it came out (once to myself and once to Harm), I forgot a lot about it!
"The Watchtower: Watchtower Book #2" by Lee Carroll (aka Carol Goodman & Lee Slonimsky) (385pgs, 2011). A good book, though I like the first one a bit more, I hope there's at least another book cause she can't leave it where it ended!

"Bess of Hardwick, Empire Builder" by Mary S. Lovell (522pgs, 2005)*. Good book about a fascinating woman. One major error for me though:
Page 29: Says that Bradgate was built by Charles Brandon. Bradgate is mostly known as the childhood home of Lady Jane Grey. It was not built by Brandon, it had nothing to do with Brandon except that his daughter Frances married Henry Grey, and they were Jane's parents.

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Sat August 27th, 2011, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat August 27th, 2011, 3:47 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]

"Bess of Hardwick, Empire Builder" by Mary S. Lovell (522pgs, 2005)*. Good book about a fascinating woman. One major error for me though:
Page 29: Says that Bradgate was built by Charles Brandon. Bradgate is mostly known as the childhood home of Lady Jane Grey. It was not built by Brandon, it had nothing to do with Brandon except that his daughter Frances married Henry Grey, and they were Jane's parents.

SM[/quote]

Lovell also has Jane's parents plotting to marry their infant son to Mary, despite the fact that Mary was out of favor at the time and slightly older than Frances Grey to boot. When she went on to say that history recorded that Frances was cruel to her lower servants, without bothering to give a citation to where this history or the previous "fact" was recorded, I introduced Mr. Book to Mr. Wall and decided to find another book about Bess.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Sat August 27th, 2011, 5:11 am

I have started to read Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I read it when it first came out many years ago, and thought a re-read was warranted. Also reading Michael Robotham's Bloodline and the EC book listed below. Sometimes, the nights go on too long because I skip back and forth between books, and I don't get up until just before noon. I'd best get back to my "regular" hours before school starts again!
BTW:To any of you facing Hurricane Irene, my thoughts are with you, and I hope that any damage is minimal!
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sat August 27th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Finished Eragon and started EC's Shadows and Strongholds. Loving it so far!
Brenna

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat August 27th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Battening down the hatches, making certain I can get to the generator and that there's plenty of fuel for it; we have plenty of food, water and the like, and backed up the harddrives into the storage. Sigh. So I guess that we're ready for the visit by Irene. Cats are being mellow about all the bustling about, sensible creatures that they are.

Now reading Barbara Hambly's Dragonshadow and what a roller-coaster ride that one is turning out to be.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat August 27th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Had a terrible bout of insomnia Thursday night and finished The Elegance of the Hedgehog and Queen by Right. Haven't decided what to read next, but it will probably be a non-fiction. Maybe a biography of Oscar Wilde and a research book. Must make up my mind soon, before the hurricane does for the power!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon August 29th, 2011, 10:53 am

I've just started Rose, Rose Where Are You? by Rosemary Ellerbeck, aka The House by the Sea by Nicola Thorne. It seems the author has two pen names and also decided the change the title of the book after 30 years!!!!! My copy of the book was published in the 1970s.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon August 29th, 2011, 11:35 am

I'm just about to start "Though the Heavens May Fall" by E V Thompson, a historical crime drama set in London and Cornwall, and I'm still ploughing through "The Distant Hours" - more like the distant ending!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon August 29th, 2011, 11:41 am

[quote=""Berengaria""]I have started to read Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I read it when it first came out many years ago, and thought a re-read was warranted. [/quote]

Aah. I read that when I was in college and many years later saw parts of the televisation. I only saws part because I discovered it by mistake (I must have been suffering from insomnia at the time) at a peculiar time of the night and recording was too much of a faff in the days when I had to use VHS. It is a fascinating read.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “Archives”