Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading August 2011?

Retired Threads
Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed August 24th, 2011, 8:13 pm

The first two were definitely the best. #4 is better than #3, but still not as good as #1 or #2. I think that is why my interest in the series fizzled out.

javagirl
Reader

Post by javagirl » Thu August 25th, 2011, 4:56 am

Just finished and really enjoyed EC's The Time of Singing.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu August 25th, 2011, 8:37 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]I'm just about to start Case Histories by Kate Atkinson.[/quote]

I think they did the TV version of this really well, will you be comparing them?
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu August 25th, 2011, 8:45 am

I watched the second two, but didn't catch the first one. I enjoyed the ones I watched and I'm really enjoying the book so far - it's written with a sense of humour.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu August 25th, 2011, 8:48 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]I watched the second two, but didn't catch the first one. I enjoyed the ones I watched and I'm really enjoying the book so far - it's written with a sense of humour.[/quote]

I think the first TV adap was the best one. I enjoyed the book, it's very quirky and she can be very funny.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

oldhousejunkie
Scribbler

Post by oldhousejunkie » Thu August 25th, 2011, 9:13 pm

I'm reading "The Wild Rose" by Jennifer Donnelly. I love her but I'm not being drawn in by the characters like I have in the past. It kind of makes me sad. :(

Before that I was re-reading "Something Dangerous" by Penny Vincenzi.
I blog about all things writing and historical at Caroline Wilson Writes!

I'm also on Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads!

Now Available: "Rebel Heart," a romantic historical fiction set in Civil War America and Victorian England.

Available at Amazon

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri August 26th, 2011, 2:02 am

I finished yesterday "Lost At Sea: Ghost Ships and Other Mysteries" by Michael Goss & George Behe (354pgs, 1994)*. Interesting book, looks at precognitions and other things with a supernatural/paranormal bent with regards to ship wrecks and disasters.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri August 26th, 2011, 4:25 am

Just finished Feast for Crows(but am getting totally ticked off with Martin!) and am halfway through 'Heart of the Matter' by Emily Giffin, so far so good :)

Bec :)

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Fri August 26th, 2011, 9:03 am

[quote=""Michy""]The first two were definitely the best. #4 is better than #3, but still not as good as #1 or #2. I think that is why my interest in the series fizzled out.[/quote]

Still on 'The Light Heart'. Am feeling kind of meh about it, I really like Thane's style of writing, but I'm starting to find the romances that she sets up unbelievable, the characters seem to fall in love so quickly that there's no build up, no background between them.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri August 26th, 2011, 10:26 am

[quote=""oldhousejunkie""]I'm reading "The Wild Rose" by Jennifer Donnelly. I love her but I'm not being drawn in by the characters like I have in the past. It kind of makes me sad. :(

Before that I was re-reading "Something Dangerous" by Penny Vincenzi.[/quote]

I'm looking forward to The Wild Rose being published in the UK - don't know when, though. It seems to have been published everywhere else!! Shame you're not enjoying it as much as the other two.

I enjoy Peny Vincenzi's books - I loved the Spoils of Time trilogy (Something Dangerous is the second one isn't it?).
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Archives”